Author Topic: Biden promises Pittsburgh workers tariffs on China will protect union jobs  (Read 577 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden promises Pittsburgh workers tariffs on China will protect union jobs
By
Gabrielle M. Etzel
April 17, 2024 3:45 pm

PITTSBURGH — President Joe Biden assured steel union members in Pennsylvania on Wednesday of his unwavering support, announcing increased tariffs and protections for domestic manufacturing in the lead-up to the swing state’s primary for the 2024 election season.

“The backbone of America has a steel spine,” Biden said. “We’re investing in American workers again.”

Biden stopped in Pittsburgh to speak to an invitation-only crowd at the United Steelworkers headquarters downtown, calling on U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai to triple existing tariffs on steel and aluminum from China.

“The Chinese government has poured state money into Chinese steel companies, pushing them to make so much steel as possible, subsidized by the Chinese government,” Biden said. “They’re not competing. They’re cheap. They’re cheap, and we’ve seen the damage here in America.”

Biden also said his administration would begin investigating Chinese anti-competitive practices in the shipbuilding industry.

“Taken together, these are strategic and targeted actions to protect American workers and ensure fair competition,” Biden said.''

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/2969347/biden-promises-workers-tariffs-protect-union-jobs/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Did no one brief Joe on why Weirton Steel (less than an hour from Pittsburgh) has shut down, putting 900 steelworkers out of work?
Cleveland-Cliffs to idle West Virginia tinplate plant, impacting 900 jobs
By Aatreyee Dasgupta
February 15, 2024 11:38 AM EST  Updated 2 months ago
Feb 15 (Reuters)

Cleveland-Cliffs (CLF.N) is indefinitely idling its tinplate plant in Weirton, West Virginia in April, impacting roughly 900 workers, the company said on Thursday, after a U.S. trade agency struck down dumping duties on food can steel imports.

The U.S. International Trade Commission earlier this month voted to overturn the Commerce Department's imposition of anti-dumping duties of 2.69% to 6.88% on tin mill steel after it found that the imports did not harm domestic steelmakers. ...
The commissioners who struck down duties were appointed by various U.S. Presidents. Is Joe planning yet another end run via executive orders, or something?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online LMAO

It looks like both candidates are in the running to see who can be the next Herbert Hoover
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

Ryan Saavedra
@RealSaavedra
Biden mocked Trump for imposing tariffs on China a few years ago. What changed?
5:45 PM · Apr 17, 2024

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President Biden is calling on his U.S. Trade Representative, if consistent with the results of her review, to consider tripling tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum – to help American workers compete on a level playing field.
5:30 PM · Apr 17, 2024

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online LMAO

Ryan Saavedra
@RealSaavedra
Biden mocked Trump for imposing tariffs on China a few years ago. What changed?
5:45 PM · Apr 17, 2024

The White House
@WhiteHouse
President Biden is calling on his U.S. Trade Representative, if consistent with the results of her review, to consider tripling tariffs on Chinese steel and aluminum – to help American workers compete on a level playing field.
5:30 PM · Apr 17, 2024

Amazingly, Biden was actually right about something on June 11, 2019.

So if he knew the economic harm that tariffs can cause, why does he support them now? Is it just to pander to steel workers at the expense of the economic well-being of the country?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:14:39 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

The media ripped Trump on his first round of tariffs and rightly so

Let’s see if they do the same thing with Biden’s proposal here

Barry Goldwater