Author Topic: Push to overhaul how presidents are elected gets more support  (Read 143 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Push to overhaul how presidents are elected gets more support
By
Elaine Mallon
April 16, 2024 11:26 am

Maine is now the 17th state to join a movement looking to determine the presidential winner by the popular vote.

Gov. Janet Mills (D-ME) announced Monday that Maine will join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. The legislation will be passed in the state without her signature. Under the compact, a state’s electoral votes will be given to the winner of the national popular vote, regardless of how their state voted in the election.

Those against the move said rural voters would be overlooked and candidates will be less likely to visit Maine; those in favor said it gave voters in the city, suburbs, and country equal weight.

“Still recognizing that there is merit to both sides of the argument and recognizing that this measure has been the subject of public discussion several times before in Maine, I would like this important nationwide debate to continue, and so I will allow this bill to become law without my signature,” Mills said.

Between the 17 states and Washington, D.C., the movement has already amassed 209 electoral votes, only needing 61 additional votes to be taken into effect. The measure will not be applied to this presidential election, and it is unclear if congressional approval is needed.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/2967461/push-to-overhaul-how-presidents-are-elected-gets-more-support/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Re: Push to overhaul how presidents are elected gets more support
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 06:22:17 pm »
 :bkmk:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.