Author Topic: Marine Corps plans to give some officers temporary promotions  (Read 167 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine Corps plans to give some officers temporary promotions
By Irene Loewenson
 Apr 15, 10:47 AM

The Marine Corps is seeking the authority to promote some officers to the rank of lieutenant colonel and colonel temporarily, in a bid to fill jobs with a shortage of leaders.

These officers would receive the pay and wear the rank insignia commensurate with the higher grades while they occupy particular billets, according to a March 29 Marine administrative message.

“This pilot program would temporarily promote qualified Marine Corps officers with critical skills while they are filling key billets,” Marine spokeswoman Capt. Sarah Eason said in an emailed statement to Marine Corps Times on Friday.

The Navy secretary, Carlos Del Toro, would designate which billets are eligible for the Marine Corps’ spot promotions, according to Eason.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/04/15/marine-corps-plans-to-give-some-officers-temporary-promotions/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Marine Corps plans to give some officers temporary promotions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 05:19:21 pm »
This was done some in the Civil War.  They were called brevet promotions.  They got the promotion, designated title and shoulder boards, but not the pay.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 05:40:47 pm »
 ////00000////

Great, so they'll know that they are qualified for a promotion, but, that they haven't been or won't be permanently promoted.  They'll have the joy of training their replacement before they get demoted to their previous rank and pay.  Oh, this will be great for morale.  *****rollingeyes*****
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 09:56:43 pm »
Heh.
Been there and done that a half-century ago, in 1971, in Germany.

Got "promoted" to "an acting sergeant", even though I didn't want the position and still was paid at the E-4 rate. (I was a draftee)

I suppose that entitled me to entrance to the NCO club on base, but I never went there, not once...