Author Topic: Higher fitness standards will prepare soldiers for real-world problems  (Read 99 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Higher fitness standards will prepare soldiers for real-world problems
By Alex Morrow
 Thursday, Apr 11

Army Staff Sgt. Ricardo Ramos, the 3rd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Performs a plank during an Army Combat Fitness Test for the 25th Infantry Division Best Squad Competition (BSC) on Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, March 5, 2024. (Spc. Alexander Steel/Army)
There is a concept called “bulldozer parenting” that refers to parents who knock down every obstacle for their children before they get a chance to struggle. While this is meant to protect their children from short-term harm, psychology lecturer Rachael Sharman observed it “ultimately results in a psychologically fragile child, fearful and avoidant of failure, with never-learned coping strategies and poor resilience.”

These same good intentions can lead to senior leadership “bulldozer parenting” our soldiers, and the troubled Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) implementation is an example of that.

The legacy Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) was designed based on a Cold War era assumption that ground combat was a thing of the past, an illusion that left many soldiers physically unprepared for what they faced during the Global War on Terror. The initial version of the ACFT, to address lessons learned in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan, represented a significant challenge for the force.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2024/04/11/higher-fitness-standards-will-prepare-soldiers-for-real-world-problems/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson