Author Topic: Lower military secrecy thresholds coming this year, Plumb says  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lower military secrecy thresholds coming this year, Plumb says
By Courtney Albon
 Thursday, Apr 11

Assistant Secretary of Defense for Space Policy John Plumb told reporters April 10 that an updated classification policy should be implemented by the end of the year. (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — The Pentagon’s top space policy official expects the military services to implement updated classification guidance meant to make it easier for the U.S. to communicate with allies and partners by the end of this year.

John Plumb, assistant secretary of defense for space policy, told reporters that while reducing the classification levels of highly-secretive programs takes time, the process should be easier under the updated policy, which Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks signed out in January.

“You have to be able to use your systems,” Plumb said during an April 10 briefing at Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colo. “And to be able to use your systems, they have to be able to at least talk to each other. . . . Otherwise you just have a bunch of stovepipes. So, I think there is a military necessity of doing this, which I think is going to drive implementation.”

https://www.defensenews.com/battlefield-tech/space/2024/04/11/lower-military-secrecy-thresholds-coming-this-year-plumb-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lower military secrecy thresholds coming this year, Plumb says
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 03:33:58 pm »
It won't be long and they'll be able to communicate directly with the Chinese and Russians when the classifications get low enough.  I'm thankful the people who led the Manhattan Project didn't think in necessary to lower classifications. :0001:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson