Author Topic: The Texas Border Wall Order Against the Biden Administration You Likely Never Heard of . . . but tha  (Read 114 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Texas Border Wall Order Against the Biden Administration You Likely Never Heard of
. . . but that you may be interested in, because the issues are real and the stakes are high

By Andrew R. Arthur on April 3, 2024

There hasn’t been much news about it, but on March 8, Judge Drew Tipton of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas issued an order enjoining attempts by the Biden administration to take billions in appropriations for “the construction of [a] barrier system along the southwest border” and use it for other purposes. Given renewed support for “the wall” with an election pitting candidates holding very different views on the efficacy of such barriers, the issues in this case are real and the stakes are high for all involved.

The Border-Barrier Brouhaha. Border barriers used to be a fairly non-controversial and bipartisan solution to border security, as best demonstrated by the fact that the Secure Fence Act of 2006 passed the House and Senate with support from both parties — including from then Sens. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), and Joe Biden (D-Del.).

“The wall” only became a hot-button issue once border barriers were championed by then-candidate Donald Trump in the 2016 presidential election.

Anything immigration-related Trump liked his political opponents generally didn’t, however, and in December 2018, when Trump demanded $5 billion for barrier construction, a weeks-long government shutdown ensued.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Texas-Border-Wall-Order-Against-Biden-Administration-You-Likely-Never-Heard
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson