Author Topic: The 2023 heat spike: apocalyptic or unusual?  (Read 707 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The 2023 heat spike: apocalyptic or unusual?
« on: April 14, 2024, 10:29:02 am »
The 2023 heat spike: apocalyptic or unusual?
The Observatory
2 Apr
Dr David Whitehouse

The Global Heat Anomaly 2023

Many climate scientists are very worried about the global heat anomaly seen in 2023, and for varying reasons. No single year has confounded their predictive capabilities more than 2023. They didn’t see it coming, but perhaps they were looking in the wrong direction?

Writing in the journal Nature, Gavin Schmidt of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Science says that:

“[the] temperature anomaly has come out of the blue, revealing an unprecedented knowledge gap perhaps for the first time since about 40 years ago, when satellite data began offering modellers an unparalleled, real-time view of Earth’s climate system.”

For the past nine months, average land and sea surface temperatures have exceeded records each month, sometimes by up to 0.2°C. This global heat event exceeds greatly forecasts by climate models. At the start of 2023, modellers put the chance of it being a record warm year at 20%, although this was actually just an educated guess. So from one point of view, 2023 has been a disaster for climate modelling. Many explanations have been proposed, but so far none of them – singly or in combination – can explain what happened. It wasn’t due to the El Niño, an upturn in oceanic temperature cycles, increased solar activity, or the reduction in aerosol shielding due to cleaner shipping fuels.

https://www.netzerowatch.com/all-news/2023-heat-spike-assessment
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Re: The 2023 heat spike: apocalyptic or unusual?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 01:30:45 am »
Neither.

Offline mountaineer

Re: The 2023 heat spike: apocalyptic or unusual?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 12:29:01 pm »
2012, now there was a hot summer. At least, for some of us.
Unusual? Nope.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org