Author Topic: Why extremists keep trying to turn out the lights  (Read 155 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why extremists keep trying to turn out the lights
« on: April 14, 2024, 10:18:50 am »
Why extremists keep trying to turn out the lights
By ARIANNA SKIBELL  04/08/2024 05:59 PM EDT
Presented by American Clean Power

Political violence has an increasingly common outlet: the electric grid.

Unrest in the U.S. and abroad is driving a “dramatic increase” in malicious cyber activity on the nation’s power system, according to an industry grid watchdog.

The North American Electric Reliability Corp. says the ongoing Russian-Ukrainian war combined with Israel’s invasion of Gaza and the impending U.S. election are compounding the steady increase of threats by domestic and foreign actors, writes Catherine Morehouse.

“The current geopolitical situation has significant ramifications for the North American grid,” said Manny Cancel, senior vice president at NERC. “We know activists continue to use this as a vehicle to get their ideology and other political thoughts across.”

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/power-switch/2024/04/08/why-extremists-keep-trying-to-turn-out-the-lights-00151095
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson