Author Topic: After balking earlier, Chicago mayor to ask City Council to spend $70 million on migrant services  (Read 318 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
After balking earlier, Chicago mayor to ask City Council to spend $70 million on migrant services

APRIL 13, 2024 ALICE YIN - CHICAGO TRIBUNE AND DAN PETRELLA - CHICAGO TRIBUNE

In an about-face, Mayor Brandon Johnson is now asking aldermen to approve using another $70 million in city funds to maintain this year’s migrant response.

This week, the mayor’s office began briefing City Council members on plans to push through the item as a means to keep afloat the city’s costly response to the 38,000-plus asylum seekers who have made their way to Chicago since 2022.

The mayor’s office declined to comment Wednesday, but sources familiar with the briefings said his team hopes to allocate the $70 million from previous city surpluses, similar to a budgetary trick his predecessor Lori Lightfoot introduced on her way out the mayor’s office last year.

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2024/04/after-balking-earlier-chicago-mayor-to-ask-city-council-to-spend-70-million-on-migrant-services/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson