Author Topic: Congressional panel recommends 15% pay increase for enlisted troops  (Read 308 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congressional panel recommends 15% pay increase for enlisted troops
The report focused on military family experiences with barracks, wages, food insecurity, health care, childcare and spouse employment.

BY PATTY NIEBERG | PUBLISHED APR 11, 2024 6:16 PM EDT

More private barracks and a 15% jump in enlisted pay are among the key steps the military should take if it wants to improve quality of life for service retention, a bipartisan report by a House Armed Services panel released Thursday found. Childcare and job opportunities for spouses were also high on the panel’s priority list.

“It is clear that we must address these issues if we are to sustain the All-Volunteer Force,” according to the report by the Quality of Life panel. The report was put together after months of hearings, briefings, roundtables, oversight visits, and interviews. The panel’s recommendations are aimed at inclusion in the 2025 National Defense Authorization Act.

“You think about these global challenges that we are facing. We think about our military branches, we think about conflict but really it comes down to people,” Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-Texas) said at a press conference for the report’s unveiling. “It’s not just the women and men who make the incredible sacrifice and commitment, it’s their entire family.”

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-life/quality-of-life-report-congress/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congressional panel recommends 15% pay increase for enlisted troops
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 01:17:28 pm »
It doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of happening.  There are millions of illegal "newcomers" to take care of first. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 11:45:02 pm »
I'd always support greater pay over rein-instituting the draft.

Or to put it differently, the draft is what enables civilian society to get away with underpaying those who serve.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 12:19:02 am »
It doesn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of happening.  There are millions of illegal "newcomers" to take care of first. :whistle:

You're probably right on that one.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.