Author Topic: Will The Air Force Resurrect Air Launched Rapid Response Hypersonic Missile?  (Read 94 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Will The Air Force Resurrect Air Launched Rapid Response Hypersonic Missile?
The US Air Force is again preparing to fire off its Air Launched Rapid Response hypersonic attack missile
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONAPR 8, 2024
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The US Air Force is again preparing to fire off its Air Launched Rapid Response hypersonic attack missile in what could be explained as an effort to preserve or even “resurrect” the weapon.

Following developmental and testing challenges, progress with the ARRW had previously come to a temporary, yet disappointing halt, a development generating speculation that indeed the US may remain behind Russia and China in the realm of air-launched hypersonics.

Not so fast, senior Pentagon and Air Force weapons developers say, as there are several indications that the weapon may indeed emerge as an extremely valuable asset for airwar concepts of operation. The ARRW, senior weapons developers describe, is a hypersonic boost-glide weapon that provides long-range air-to-surface precision guided prompt strike capability from standoff ranges, the Air Force Military Deputy for Acquisition told lawmakers.

“It consists of a Solid-Rocket Motor booster, a protective shroud, and a glider containing a fragmenting warhead,” Lt. Gen. Dale R. White Military Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force (Acquisition, Technology & Logistics), told Congress’ Strategic Forces Subcommittee, according to a transcript of his testimony.

https://warriormaven.com/air/will-the-air-force-resurrect-air-launched-rapid-response-hypersonic-missile
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson