Author Topic: Close Air Support: Could the F-35 Be Better Than the A-10?  (Read 101 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Close Air Support: Could the F-35 Be Better Than the A-10?
« on: April 13, 2024, 01:04:17 pm »
Close Air Support: Could the F-35 Be Better Than the A-10?
F-35 has now for many years been regarded as an optimal platform for the high-threat CAS mission for a number of key reasons
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONUPDATED:APR 11, 2024ORIGINAL:APR 10, 2024
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is well known as a 5th-generation, stealthy, multirole fighter jet capable of detecting and destroying enemy targets from ranges where it cannot itself be seen, something made possible through advanced computing, software upgrades and a new generation of sensing technology bringing pilots high-resolution target imagery and threat detection capability. Therefore, using stealth and speed to elude and destroy enemy air defenses, destroy air and ground targets with precision from stand-off distances and perform drone-like ISR as an aerial “node” in a joint, multidomain warfare environment, are all things widely associated with the F-35.

As a stealth fighter jet with exquisite technologies and wide-ranging operational purview, it may seem that the F-35 is ill suited for the dangers and rigors of Close Air Support missions where lower-flying aircraft hover and maneuver in support of fast-advancing ground forces under enemy fire. However, the F-35 has now for many years been regarded as an optimal platform for the high-threat CAS mission for a number of key reasons.

Years ago, the Pentagon performed a specific CAS assessment looking at both the A-10 and the F-35 capabilities for the mission. Clearly its titanium hull, 30mm cannon and “low and slow” flying ability has made the A-10 Warthog “Flying Tank” cherished for worthwhile reasons, yet there also seems to be lesser recognized variables explaining why an F-35 may be particularly well-suited for CAS operations as well.

https://warriormaven.com/air/close-air-support-could-the-f-35-be-better-than-the-a-10
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson