Author Topic: The Latest On The SPY-6 Radar That’s Set To Dominate The Navy’s Future Fleet  (Read 104 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Latest On The SPY-6 Radar That’s Set To Dominate The Navy’s Future Fleet
We talked with Raytheon’s Scott Spence about the state of the program as classes of ships are setting sail with the radar for the first time.

BY
JAMIE HUNTER, TYLER ROGOWAY
|
PUBLISHED APR 12, 2024 7:19 PM EDT

JAMIE HUNTER
View Jamie Hunter's Articles
TYLER ROGOWAY
View Tyler Rogoway's Articles
Aviation_Intel

We caught up with Scott Spence, Raytheon's Vice President of Naval Integrated Solutions, on the floor of Sea Air Space 2024 to talk about the AN/SPY-6, also known as the Air and Missile Defense Radar (AMDR) or Enterprise Air Surveillance Radar (EASR), depending on the variant. There is no sensor program in the Navy's portfolio that is as critical as EASR as it's set to be installed on all of the Navy's new surface combatants, amphibious assault ships, and carriers going forward, as well as being back-fitted into existing destroyers. This all equates to a massive upgrade in capabilities, which could be absolutely critical to surviving and succeeding in a peer conflict in the Pacific.

The bottom line here is that the Navy has put nearly all its chips on AMDR/EASR, and the potential payoffs of fielding such an advanced and scalable active electronically scanned array radar system across the fleet are gargantuan.

Here's what Spence had to say about the state of AMDR/EASR program:

https://www.twz.com/sea/the-latest-on-the-spy-6-radar-thats-set-to-dominate-the-navys-future-fleet
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson