Author Topic: China's Ships Sail Near Disputed Islands US Has Pledged To Defend  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

China's Ships Sail Near Disputed Islands US Has Pledged To Defend
Story by John Feng • 1d •

China's coast guard sent a flotilla of ships into the territorial waters of the disputed Senkaku Islands on Friday, less than 48 hours after President Joe Biden reaffirmed the U.S.' "unwavering commitment" to defend the Japan-controlled territory from an attack.

A brief statement on its website and social media channels said the patrol led by the Chinese maritime law enforcement vessel 2502, a 5,500-ton Shuoshi II-class cutter, was "to protect China's rights."

The uninhabited island group, which Beijing calls the Diaoyu Islands, are located in the East China Sea, roughly 120 miles northeast of self-ruled Taiwan, which China's leaders also claim.

Since Japan's nationalization of the Senkakus in 2012, the Chinese government has ramped up ship deployments into the islets' 12-nautical mile territorial sea or the adjacent contiguous zone, which extends a further 12 nautical miles beyond that, according to Japan coast guard data.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-s-ships-sail-near-disputed-islands-us-has-pledged-to-defend/ar-BB1lv4Zo?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=15bd726be9914d88b670e0a570158f30&ei=87
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: China's Ships Sail Near Disputed Islands US Has Pledged To Defend
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 09:09:32 am »

China's coast guard sent a flotilla of ships into the territorial waters of the disputed Senkaku Islands on Friday, less than 48 hours after President Joe Biden reaffirmed the U.S.' "unwavering commitment" to defend the Japan-controlled territory from an attack.

This would seem to indicate China isn't overly concerned with Biden's threat.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson