Author Topic: Meet The American Drone That Just Arrived In Europe - The MQ-4C Triton  (Read 105 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Meet The American Drone That Just Arrived In Europe - The MQ-4C Triton
Story by Matthew Lee • 16h

The U.S. Navy's Sixth Fleet announced on March 30, 2024, that the Navy's largest drone and one of its most capable maritime patrol assets— the MQ-4C Triton — had been forward-deployed to Europe for the first time. Part of the Unmanned Patrol Squadron (VUP-19) and nicknamed "Big Red", several Tritons are now stationed at Naval Air Station (NAS) Sigonella in Sicily, Italy. It'll allow U.S. commanders to keep a close eye on hotspots in Europe and Africa, such as the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea, and with its range of 8,200 nautical miles, even part of Africa and as far as the Middle East.

Despite its impressive capabilities, the Navy has been relatively cautious in deploying the MQ-4C internationally. Apart from Sigonella, the other main hub for VUP-19's Tritons is Andersen AFB in Guam, where the drone's sophisticated intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) equipment has been used to keep a watchful eye on the Pacific theater and America's major competitors in the region, such as China. So, what sets the Triton apart from the numerous other unmanned aerial vehicles in the U.S. military's arsenal?

The MQ-4C Triton isn't an "original" design, per se. Instead, it's a variant of the RQ-4 Global Hawk, which shares its overall design and objective as the U.S. military's premier high-altitude, long-endurance unmanned reconnaissance platform. However, the Triton is retrofitted to act as what the Navy calls an: "Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance Maritime Patrol asset." The Triton is perfect for the role, with its ability to fly for over 30 hours at altitudes up to 55,000 feet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/meet-the-american-drone-that-just-arrived-in-europe-the-mq-4c-triton/ar-BB1lwyeu?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=15bd726be9914d88b670e0a570158f30&ei=73
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson