Author Topic: Living In A Base Reality — Are We In A Simulation?  (Read 860 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Living In A Base Reality — Are We In A Simulation?
« on: April 12, 2024, 08:24:02 pm »
Living In A Base Reality — Are We In A Simulation?

Amelia Settembre

Are we like Neo in The Matrix, living in a simulation that’s beyond our control? That’s the question scientist have started to ask, a few decades after the creation of The Matrix. Right now, it’s still a question, and at the moment a philosophical one as well as a scientific one. The biggest first question to ask is what exactly a base reality, a simulation, and an objective reality are.

A base reality is the idea that there are multiple layers of reality, that progressively go deeper, until you get what reality actually is. Instead, what you experience is a very watered down version of real reality. The reason the base reality theory is so deceptively complex is due to the fact that it encompasses every sort of reality that could occur. This ranges from hypothetical to actual to perceived… etc. The reason we know that our version of reality is likely highly processed (almost like the difference between grapes and grape preservatives) is because it’s filtered through our organs and brain. Even colors, which are just detections of wavelengths, could theoretically appear different for everyone based on which photoreceptors they have.

A simulated reality is the theory that the world is created by a quantum simulator, and thus is (to some degree) indistinguishable from actual reality. In a simulated reality (especially one designed by a quantum simulator), people would find it difficult to tell the difference, and thus wouldn’t bring into question the validity of the world in which they live. The fact that we have achieved a point in civilization where we’re able to recreate simulated realities suggests that we are, in fact, within a simulated reality ourselves. However, other arguments are made, like the “answer” as to why we haven’t been able to find alien life just yet is because the simulated reality can’t take more than one civilization at a time.

An objective reality is the world which everyone physically experiences, and thus exists. If I have a blue cup, and everyone in the world can touch, see, or at the very least interact with my cup, then it does exist and is in the objective reality. If everyone can interact with my cup except for Timothy, then my cup isn’t part of the objective reality. If only I can interact with my cup, then it isn’t part of objective reality. Objective reality only applies for things which are indisputably in the universe, and thus definitely exist.
These definitions are a basic layout to the question of whether or not we’re living right now in a objective reality, or if the reality is simulated. Another question people sometimes ask is if they’re the only person in the universe, and if everyone is merely a simulation, along with the rest of the world.

So Am I The Only Person Who Exists?

Probably not. Right now, there isn’t really any proof for any of us that anyone else really exists. However, taking this sentiment to heart is known as metaphysical solipsism, a philosophical theory which dictates that only the self exists, and that everything beyond that — including other people and the outside world — are simply reflections of that self and don’t hold any individual existence.

There are multiple varieties of solipsism, including epistemological solipsism (where the main idea is that the only thing the philosopher can be sure of is their mind, and the rest of the world is a question mark instead of simply fake) and methodological solipsism (in which only the existence of thoughts is known as true, and even the mind is a part of the outer world which would potentially be fake, but again, they don’t know).

In a simple breakdown, the belief that you’re the only person existent in the universe would be categorized as more of a philosophy rather than an actual statement, since there’s still no evidence that any one of us is a single player within a simulation.

https://medium.com/@amesett/living-in-a-base-reality-are-we-in-a-simulation-1b819e46aaed#:~:text=The%20biggest%20first%20question%20to,get%20what%20reality%20actually%20is.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 06:57:25 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Re: Living In A Base Reality — Are We In A Simulation?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 08:28:05 pm »
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/what-simulation-hypothesis-why-some-think-life-simulated-reality-ncna913926

Elon Musk says we may live in a simulation. Here's how we might tell if he's right
Scientists are looking for ways to put this mind-bending idea to the test.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2024, 09:58:49 pm »
OK, I'll bite...

I think science has diminished our understanding - The idea that everything must be observable and repeat-able has defined 'reality' for us, discounting anything that doesn't fit in that very small and very defined box.

Don't get me wrong - It's good for what its worth... I just don't think it gives us the whole picture.

I think the ephemeral is actually more real than here.
I think that as the Bible says, 'we see through a glass, darkly'.
And because of that, our perception, and therefore 'science', is a broken tool to begin with.

The hard part is trying to see outside of the fishbowl. When you are submersed in a reality, it is very hard to conceive something different.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 10:13:20 pm »
OK, I'll bite...

I think science has diminished our understanding - The idea that everything must be observable and repeat-able has defined 'reality' for us, discounting anything that doesn't fit in that very small and very defined box.

Don't get me wrong - It's good for what its worth... I just don't think it gives us the whole picture.

And because of that, our perception, and therefore 'science', is a broken tool to begin with.

The hard part is trying to see outside of the fishbowl. When you are submersed in a reality, it is very hard to conceive something different.

@roamer_1

That example is mentioned, I think.

Says that if we were born in a space ship we would have no inkling of a blue sky, green grass or oceans of water, etc.. 

Is that where you were going??

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 11:59:17 pm »
@roamer_1

That example is mentioned, I think.

Says that if we were born in a space ship we would have no inkling of a blue sky, green grass or oceans of water, etc.. 

Is that where you were going??

Well, that goes back to the blind guys trying to describe an elephant theory.

Maybe more like this... This is kinda a thought bomb, and in a nutshell... so don't expect me to elaborate much as it would take a weekend on the porch and a few gallons of sweet tea:

Each graduation of dimension doubles. A point turning to a line, a line turning into a cube... Until we get to time, which is only linear, at least in our definition... So time breaks the pattern of expansion.

Because of that, I think it (time) is busted... Purposefully, for our protection, but I digress...

But if one dimension is not complete, I think it blocks our ability to see past it - The stick-line-guy on the paper can't see a three dimensional thing... That kind of thing.

That does not mean those dimensions beyond are not there, nor that they are ephemeral and wispy... But more 'real' as they progress, even as a point graduating to a line, graduating to a cube becomes more 'full' as it goes

I think when we get to 'see' it altogether, I think it is far, far more than we can begin to grok.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 01:50:49 am »
Well, that goes back to the blind guys trying to describe an elephant theory.

Maybe more like this... This is kinda a thought bomb, and in a nutshell... so don't expect me to elaborate much as it would take a weekend on the porch and a few gallons of sweet tea:

Each graduation of dimension doubles. A point turning to a line, a line turning into a cube... Until we get to time, which is only linear, at least in our definition... So time breaks the pattern of expansion.

Because of that, I think it (time) is busted... Purposefully, for our protection, but I digress...

But if one dimension is not complete, I think it blocks our ability to see past it - The stick-line-guy on the paper can't see a three dimensional thing... That kind of thing.

That does not mean those dimensions beyond are not there, nor that they are ephemeral and wispy... But more 'real' as they progress, even as a point graduating to a line, graduating to a cube becomes more 'full' as it goes

I think when we get to 'see' it altogether, I think it is far, far more than we can begin to grok.

Thanks for the attempt there... too deep for me!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 06:10:24 am »
OK, I'll bite...

There are two things about science most people find hard.
The first is to ask the right questions.
The second is to accept the answers, and to not let normalcy bias or any preconceptions color observations to the point that evidence, no matter how improbable, exists and must be accounted for in any explanation.

The hardest part is the most common correct answer: "We don't know."

That doesn't stop us from trying to understand, but every correct answer brings more questions, which outnumber the answers and will continue to do so. That's what makes it fun, to be honest, but too many can't accept that correct answer, and that leads to problems.

Through a glass darkly, indeed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 06:16:13 am »
There are two things about science most people find hard.
The first is to ask the right questions.
The second is to accept the answers, and to not let normalcy bias or any preconceptions color observations to the point that evidence, no matter how improbable, exists and must be accounted for in any explanation.

The hardest part is the most common correct answer: "We don't know."

That doesn't stop us from trying to understand, but every correct answer brings more questions, which outnumber the answers and will continue to do so. That's what makes it fun, to be honest, but too many can't accept that correct answer, and that leads to problems.

Through a glass darkly, indeed.

Totally agree, @Smokin Joe

The 3 hardest words in any language:  "I Don't Know"

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 06:18:35 am »
Totally agree, @Smokin Joe

The 3 hardest words in any language:  "I Don't Know"
Yet so often, THE correct answer.

The more I learn, the less I know.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis