Author Topic: There is more to NATO burden sharing than the 2% spending dogma  (Read 121 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

There is more to NATO burden sharing than the 2% spending dogma
© Provided by Defense News

As the NATO alliance prepares to gather this summer to celebrate its 75th birthday, rhetoric around "burden sharing" – specifically whether member countries are paying enough, where "enough" is typically defined as military spending equal to 2% of GDP – is likely to heat up. With a war raging just off NATO's eastern flank as Ukraine defends itself against an aggressor that has become NATO's raison d'etre, it's a fair question: Are NATO member countries doing enough?

Although many NATO member countries' militaries need work, obsession with the 2% of GDP metric belies a fundamental misunderstanding of military capabilities and national preparedness for conflict. Spending is important, but there is much more that matters.

Rather than serving as a long-standing foundation of the NATO alliance, after years of serving as an unofficial benchmark, the metric that 2% of each member country's GDP should be dedicated to military spending was only officially agreed upon by NATO members at a summit in 2014 – and it was a target that was to be met "within a decade," or by 2024. At the time of the summit, in the wake of Russia's occupation of Ukraine's Crimean peninsula, NATO leaders were worried about their militaries' readiness, and several NATO countries reported having low – even negative for Croatia and Italy – defense expenditures as a percent of GDP.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/there-is-more-to-nato-burden-sharing-than-the-2-spending-dogma/ar-BB1lkkTl
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: There is more to NATO burden sharing than the 2% spending dogma
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 04:32:39 pm »
I'll bet our "allies" don't see it that way. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson