Author Topic: On Abortion, Donald Trump Goes The Way Of Stephen A. Douglas  (Read 507 times)

Online corbe

On Abortion, Donald Trump Goes The Way Of Stephen A. Douglas
« on: April 11, 2024, 01:58:18 pm »
On Abortion, Donald Trump Goes The Way Of Stephen A. Douglas

BY: JOHN DANIEL DAVIDSON
APRIL 11, 2024

Lincoln and Douglas
IMAGE CREDITPUBLIC DOMAIN

Abortion, like slavery, cannot simply be ‘left to the states,’ as if it’s an ordinary political issue. The republic itself is at stake.

Former President Donald Trump declared this week that abortion should be left to the states, that there should be no federal abortion legislation because “this is all about the will of the people,” and “whatever they decide must be the law of the land.” He released a video stating his position on Monday and reiterated it later in the week.

By taking this stand, that abortion should not be a federal issue, Trump has not just betrayed his pro-life supporters but taken the side of Stephen A. Douglas over Abraham Lincoln. He has insisted that popular sovereignty, not moral principle, should decide the abortion question, just as Douglas insisted popular sovereignty in the new federal territories must decide the slavery question.

In practice, that means a patchwork of abortion laws across the country, at least for now, ranging from near-complete bans in some red states to unrestricted abortion until birth in some blue states. But it will not stay this way.

As Lincoln understood about slavery back in the 1850s, the eventual political consequences of tolerating abortion in some states will be the acceptance of it in all the states. (We’ve already seen this with the abortion referendums in Kansas and Ohio, with more referendums on the way.) Moral neutrality on abortion — Trump’s “popular sovereignty” approach — will weaken the foundation for legal prohibition and open the way to tolerance and eventually political acceptance.

<..snip..>

https://thefederalist.com/2024/04/11/on-abortion-donald-trump-goes-the-way-of-stephen-a-douglas/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LMAO

Re: On Abortion, Donald Trump Goes The Way Of Stephen A. Douglas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 02:02:19 pm »
The problem is Donald Trump has had multiple positions on abortion over the years

This latest position he may or may not settle on. But you can be rest assured that the Democrats will broadcast his multiple positions over the years
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 02:50:01 pm »
Trump's second concern, behind himself, is winning.  He'll say what he needs to say to whomever at that moment to secure electoral victory.

This is where the interests of principled pro-lifers and Trump diverge.  Trump wants to win.  Pro-lifers want bans, elections and popular opinion be damned.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 03:13:18 pm »
Trump's second concern, behind himself, is winning.  He'll say what he needs to say to whomever at that moment to secure electoral victory.

This is where the interests of principled pro-lifers and Trump diverge.  Trump wants to win.  Pro-lifers want bans, elections and popular opinion be damned.

Abortion can become for Trump what Israel has become for the Democrats. I can see, should Trump win,  Trump trying to appeal more to NPR listeners and New York Times readers versus the people who attended his rallies. Those that show up to his rallies are not the kind of people he wants to associate with and hang around with  once his political aspirations are done

He’ll want to show the media and the left that he’s really not the bad guy that they think he is. His latest position of many on abortion is to condemn restrictive abortion measures in states and boast  about how he appointed Judges that overturned Roe versus Wade. Then, in the next breath, he says it should be left up to the states

The problem with this is his evangelical supporters wants more abortion restrictions and the Democrats want abortions up to the day of birth. So he’s trying to have it both ways
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 03:15:30 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 10:31:05 pm »
LMAO:
"His latest position of many on abortion is to condemn restrictive abortion measures in states and boast  about how he appointed Judges that overturned Roe versus Wade. Then, in the next breath, he says it should be left up to the states"

Again, I'll reproduce this:
==================
Mr. Trump's reply on abortion should be basic and simple, to wit:

"To those who demanded that Roe be repealed, I nominated 3 conservative justices to the Supreme Court who did just that. Roe is history, and the issue is now returned to the states and to the voters of those states. I kept my promise regarding the Supreme Court. I've returned the issue to YOU, the voters..."
==================
Original post:
https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,528814.msg2998634.html#msg2998634

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 01:32:32 pm »
The problem is Donald Trump has had multiple positions on abortion over the years

So the bleep what.  Most adults have, including the most esteemed politician of your dreams:  Ronald Reagan.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 01:33:57 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline LMAO

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 05:05:40 pm »
So the bleep what.  Most adults have, including the most esteemed politician of your dreams:  Ronald Reagan.

Reagan’s position on abortion did not change 14 or 15 times over a 20 year period nor have most  adults. 

Trump went all the way from not being opposed to partial birth abortion to, in 2016,  believing women should be punished for having abortions to bragging about overturning Roe vs  Wade to saying it should be left up to the states, but yet attacking states and governors for making their state decisions on abortion that he said he supports them making.
Whew!!!

His multiple positions on abortion are well documented.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/04/09/politics/trump-abortion-stances-timeline
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 06:16:58 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 07:12:25 pm »
Donald Trump’s position on abortion isn’t just a result of some kind of evolving on the issue. You don’t take that many positions on it in a short amount of time unless you’re trying to make some kind of political calculation

During the 2004 campaign, the flip flop charge was applied to Kerry and  it stuck because it was true

How’d that work out for him?

Barry Goldwater

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 07:16:49 pm »
I'm less interested in what Trump has to say about abortion and more interested in what he did, which is give $2 billion in taxpayer money to Planned Parenthood during his four years in office.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 07:23:40 pm »
One thing about Trump you can count on him to backpedal on an issue depending on which way the wind is blowing and abortion is one of them.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 01:38:44 pm »
One thing about Trump you can count on him to backpedal on an issue depending on which way the wind is blowing

Or if the campaign contributions are substantial enough
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 01:39:33 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater