Author Topic: 'Falling Behind': Navy Criticized for Delays in Shipbuilding, Deployments that May Leave US Behind C  (Read 207 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'Falling Behind': Navy Criticized for Delays in Shipbuilding, Deployments that May Leave US Behind China

Military.com | By Konstantin Toropin and Drew F. Lawrence
Published April 10, 2024 at 5:16pm ET

Lawmakers dug into the Navy's shipbuilding efforts on Wednesday, saying that it is "behind" in providing ships to stay apace of global competition, specifically with China.

The criticisms were raised when Department of the Navy leaders, including Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Eric Smith, met with members of the House Appropriations Committee's defense panel to discuss the Navy's shipbuilding and maintenance shortfalls.

The Navy has admitted that all of its key shipbuilding programs -- from the new Columbia-class submarine to the new Constellation-class frigate -- are facing yearslong delays, which come amid cases of ships being delayed to deploy because of mounting maintenance issues.

Read Next: Unsupervised: Military Child Care Centers Slow to Report Abuse with Little Oversight

"I'm concerned that the Navy is falling behind -- it is behind," Rep. Ken Calvert, R-Calif., the chairman of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, said Wednesday. "The Navy continues to retire ships faster than it builds them, and I'm troubled by the Navy's request to decommission 10 ships before the end of their service life and build only six."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/04/10/falling-behind-navy-criticized-delays-shipbuilding-deployments-may-leave-us-behind-china.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What's the big deal?  They're just keeping pace with the other branches :yowsa:!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

America is well behind China on many fronts thanks to dingbat leadership.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
"Many of you are making record profits, as evidenced by your quarterly financial statements," Del Toro said, claiming that some companies "goose ... stock prices through stock buybacks, deferring promised capital investments, and other accounting maneuvers that to some seem to prioritize stock prices that drive executive compensation rather than making the needed fundamental investments."

Blaming the contractors is self-defeating and a sign of weak leadership.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus