Author Topic: The Ellis Island Museum Is Revitalizing the Story of American Immigration  (Read 101 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

The Ellis Island Museum Is Revitalizing the Story of American Immigration
A $100 million renovation will help preserve the history of the millions of immigrants who passed through the island in the late 19th and early 20th centuries

Sarah Kuta
Sarah Kuta

Daily Correspondent

April 9, 2024
Entrance to Ellis Island
The Ellis Island National Museum of Immigration has been open since 1990. Paul Seibert
Between 1892 and 1954, more than 12 million immigrants passed through Ellis Island hoping to start a new life in America. Situated between New York and New Jersey, the historic site was often the first piece of dry land weary travelers touched after a long journey across the Atlantic.

Since 1990, the site has been home to the Ellis Island National Museum of Immigration. Now, after more than three decades, the museum is getting a makeover.

The $100 million project, which was announced late last month, includes the creation of new public spaces, the expansion of the American Immigrant Wall of Honor and the development of new interactive experiences. When work is complete, the museum will have touchscreens, immersive films, soundscapes and other pieces of media.

The museum will also offer self-guided tours in 12 languages, as well as American Sign Language tours and descriptive audio tours for visitors who are blind or visually impaired.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-ellis-island-national-museum-of-immigration-is-getting-a-100m-makeover-180984113/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In this case does "revitalizing" mean the same as REINVENTING?  With the liberals and rinos running congress, there is an excellent chance it does.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson