Author Topic: Louisiana Senate approves bill that allows local police to arrest undocumented immigrants  (Read 99 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Louisiana Senate approves bill that allows local police to arrest undocumented immigrants

By Andrés Fuentes
Published: Apr. 9, 2024 at 8:57 AM EDT
BATON ROUGE, LA (WVUE) - The Louisiana Senate on Monday (April 8) voted 28-11 in support of SB 388, a bill that would allow state and local police in Louisiana to arrest and detain anyone they suspect of being in the United States illegally.

It mimics a similar Texas law, SB4, that is currently on hold while the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals decides whether or not the law is constitutionally sound. Texas’ attorneys argue the state has a right to defend its southern border and the law will help do just that. While the Biden Administration, ACLU and other immigrant rights groups say the law goes beyond the federal government’s authority to enforce immigration law.

SB 388 now heads to the Louisiana House of Representatives for further discussion and debate. If the bill reaches Governor Jeff Landry’s desk, whether it could be implemented is up to the federal judges’ decision on SB4.

Republican Sen. Valarie Hodges from Denham Springs authored SB 388 and argued in front of the full Senate that the bill was a move for Louisiana to be tough on illegal immigration and the issues surrounding the southern border.

https://www.fox8live.com/2024/04/09/louisiana-senate-approves-bill-that-allows-local-police-arrest-undocumented-immigrants/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson