Author Topic: Academia’s Radical Chic: Anti-Israeli Mandatory Class Puts Spotlight on UCLA’s Activist-in-Resident  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Academia’s Radical Chic: Anti-Israeli Mandatory Class Puts Spotlight on UCLA’s Activist-in-Resident Program

There has been much discussion about the controversial mandatory lecture for first-year medical students at the University of California Los Angeles from a pro-Palestinian speaker accused of anti-Semitic postings and racist rhetoric. However, there is less attention to the fact that Lisa “Tiny” Gray-Garcia was appearing because she is one of UCLA’s paid Activists-in-Residence.

Gray-Garica is described by UCLA as “a formerly unhoused and incarcerated poverty scholar who prefers to keep their face covered in public.”

In her two-hour lecture, Gray-Garcia dismissed modern medicine as “white science” and told the medical students to engage in a prayer to “mama Earth.” Students were expected to pray and affirm that “Mama Earth was never meant to be bought, sold, pimped or played.”

It was part of what was billed as a talk on “Housing (In)justice in LA: Addressing Unhousing and Practicing Solidarity.”https://jonathanturley.org/2024/04/10/anti-israeli-mandatory-class-puts-spotlight-on-uclas-activist-in-resident-program/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson