Author Topic: Hot prices: Inflation rose to 3.5% in March in bad news for Biden and Fed  (Read 973 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hot prices: Inflation rose to 3.5% in March in bad news for Biden and Fed
By
Zachary Halaschak
April 10, 2024 8:33 am

Inflation rose to 3.5% for the year ending in March, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Wednesday in an update to the consumer price index.

The rise in headline inflation is more than expected and an unwelcome development for the Federal Reserve, which has been aiming to move toward cutting interest rates in the coming months. It’s also bad news for President Joe Biden. The White House has been emphasizing recent declines in inflation, alongside the robust labor market, as “Bidenomics” in action.

The Fed has worked to drive down inflation for two years now by raising interest rates. Wednesday’s report casts uncertainty over the timing of the Fed beginning to trim rates.

On a month-to-month basis, inflation rose 0.4%, more than expected.

“There is no improvement here; we’re moving in the wrong direction,” said Greg McBride, chief financial analyst at BankRate. “The usual trouble spots persist — shelter, motor vehicle insurance, maintenance, and repairs, services costs. Add electricity to that list, up 0.9% in March and 5% over the past year.”

“Core inflation,” which doesn’t include volatile food and energy prices, remained at 3.8% for the year ending in February. Overall, core inflation has largely trended down this year in an indication that the Fed’s tightening is working.

more
https://thehill.com/business/personal-finance/4583123-march-2024-consumer-price-index-inflation/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online LMAO

And nothing is going to change until there is a real serious effort to address our unsustainable fiscal and monetary policy

Some here get sick of some of us preaching this over and over again, but it’s our only way out. Without a change, forget it

And just yesterday Yellen was telling us how inflation was coming down to 2%

I guess inflation disagreed with her

These people are so inept it hurts
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 01:49:35 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Inflation unexpectedly rises to 3.5% - plunging Dow Jones down 450 points and all but ruling out a summer cut to interest rates

DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
By HELENA KELLY
10 April 2024
  • The rate of annual inflation rose to 3.5 percent in March, new data shows
  • Prices were pushed up by the cost of shelter and vehicle insurance
  • The Dow Jones plummeted 500 points within minutes of the news
(more)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/consumer/article-13292743/Inflation-upticks-slightly-3-5-analysts-expectations.html
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Inflationary energy policy + inflationary fiscal policy = record gold prices
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Inflation unexpectedly rises to 3.5% - plunging Dow Jones down 450 points and all but ruling out a summer cut to interest rates

DAILYMAIL.COM and REUTERS
By HELENA KELLY
10 April 2024
  • The rate of annual inflation rose to 3.5 percent in March, new data shows
  • Prices were pushed up by the cost of shelter and vehicle insurance
  • The Dow Jones plummeted 500 points within minutes of the news
(more)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/consumer/article-13292743/Inflation-upticks-slightly-3-5-analysts-expectations.html

The market will make those up in a few days when the panic sellers have  lost their shit
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DefiantMassRINO

The Fed has enough breathing room for a 0.125% or 0.25% raise.

0.50% or 0.75% risks more bank insolvencies.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online banddag

The market will make those up in a few days when the panic sellers have  lost their shit

The market needed this correction. Corrections are healthy.

Offline Hoodat

Inflation rose to 3.5% in March in bad news for Biden and Fed

Bad news for the Fed?  They are 100% responsible for it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

In the last quarter, our government ran up $800 billion in debt while our economy only grew $325 billion.  Let that one sink in.

Every single dollar of economic growth for our last quarter went to government.  And even after that, they took another $475 billion.

This is not sustainable, people.  We need a Javier Milei.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DefiantMassRINO

The only good sustainable way out of this mess is to increase productivity and efficiency.

Growing GDP will make inflation worse unless supply-side economic policies are implemented.

Raising rates will increase Annual Federal Debt Interest % of the Annual Federal Budget, insolvencies, deflationary death spiral, and economic recession or depression.

It's always a good day to restock your Y2K Doomsday shelter with precious metals, bullets, shelf-stable foods, and bottled water.

Online libertybele

The only good sustainable way out of this mess is to increase productivity and efficiency.

Growing GDP will make inflation worse unless supply-side economic policies are implemented.

Raising rates will increase Annual Federal Debt Interest % of the Annual Federal Budget, insolvencies, deflationary death spiral, and economic recession or depression.

It's always a good day to restock your Y2K Doomsday shelter with precious metals, bullets, shelf-stable foods, and bottled water.

Absolutely. I think everyone needs to heed your words. I just truly wish we had a doomsday shelter -- we'll have to shelter in place and pray for the best.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

In the last quarter, our government ran up $800 billion in debt while our economy only grew $325 billion.  Let that one sink in.

Every single dollar of economic growth for our last quarter went to government.  And even after that, they took another $475 billion.

But our economy is doing so well.   :thud:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Gold is problematic in a doomsday scenario. How are you going to 'sell or trade' gold, when everyone is armed and starving. In the event of some nationwide emergency, who the hell is going to give a damn about some funky yellow metal?

In my opinion, food, water, and ammo, will be much more valuable than gold if society ever does break down. Gold is a 'first world' form of currency. In the wild it may retain 'some' decorative value, but it will not be the go-to currency of the times.

Go to deep-Africa, outer Alaska, or the outback wilds of Australia and try to trade gold for food. They will think you have gone insane. They don't care about that stuff at all.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
240b observes:
"In my opinion, food, water, and ammo, will be much more valuable than gold if society ever does break down. Gold is a 'first world' form of currency. In the wild it may retain 'some' decorative value, but it will not be the go-to currency of the times."

I agree (and just mentioned this to a friend yesterday).

In such a "breakdown" as you describe, I reckon a much more useful medium of exchange (other than ammunition) will be junk (90%) silver in small denominations. Quarters and dimes will rule the day.

Outside of plain barter for other items of usefulness...

Online LMAO

The market needed this correction. Corrections are healthy.

But inflation is not healthy
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.

We sure do. No chance of that happening this election cycle though. Our choice is Democrat big spender or Republican big spender. Barf!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 01:33:51 pm by deb »
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online LMAO

We sure do. No chance of that happening this election cycle though. Our choice is Democrat big spender or Republican big spender. Barf!

And yet there are some who can’t grasp why some of us don’t want to vote for more of the same

The longer it takes to deal with this issue, the more difficult and painful it becomes down the road. Simply just ignoring it because you don’t want to upset voters is not an option

Barry Goldwater