Author Topic: Squatting is a lot like Something Else  (Read 137 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Squatting is a lot like Something Else
« on: April 10, 2024, 12:31:15 pm »
Squatting is a lot like Something Else
April 05, 2024

As if inflation and high interest rates weren’t enough of a worrisome burden for property owners, squatters are now seizing American homes. This phenomenon occurs nationwide though some cities are disproportionally affected. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, has 475 homes now occupied by squatters, while 125 homes in Orange County, Florida, are under the control of interlopers. Atlanta, Georgia, is the hardest hit with 1,200 homes occupied by squatters according to the National Rental Home Council (NRHC) trade group. The problem is so bad some residents are too afraid to leave their homes for a vacation.

By definition, and in practice, squatting is trespassing, occupying space without consent that you don’t own, and refusing to leave. If this sounds vaguely familiar to another contemporary problem, here are several more clues to link the two.

Squatters are adept at identifying loopholes in the law, and if none exist, defy the law anyway.
While laws vary by state, squatters understand that after a certain period of time, they’ll never have to leave.

The more squatters successfully achieve their objectives, the more motivation there is for future squatters.

Inherent in squatting is lawlessness and a sense of entitlement that diminish property values, and compromise stability and standards within a community.

Ok, we know, it’s not a tough quiz question: squatting sounds — and is — a lot like illegal immigration! The behavior, by and large, is similar for 16.8 million illegal aliens currently residing in the U.S., with 150,000 to 200,000 more arriving each month.

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2024/04/05/squatting-lot-something-else
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Squatting is a lot like Something Else
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 01:27:06 pm »
The problem seems to be that all an illegal squatter has to do is move in when you are on a month long vacation, or for that matter a day trip or an afternoon shopping, and for some reason they suddenly have legal status that requires you to drag them thru a lengthy court process to get them out, rather than after years of abandonment of the property.

This should be a matter of going down to a county office and filing an immediate eviction notice with a visit by the sheriff and some jail time for home invasion. If someone can just walk in at any moment you're not there and claim some legal status of residence, then exactly what property rights and ownership do you have?
The Republic is lost.