Author Topic: It’s Time for a U.S. STEM Talent Strategy To Compete With China  (Read 386 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It’s Time for a U.S. STEM Talent Strategy To Compete With China
By Dan Reed & Dario Gil
April 09, 2024
U.S. Army
U.S. innovation fuels our economic strength and is vital for our national security. Released last earlier this month, the National Science Board’s congressionally mandated State of U.S. Science and Engineering Indicators report shows that an accelerating science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) talent crisis is imperiling America’s economy and security.

Let’s start with a bit of perspective. The U.S. STEM workforce is now one quarter of the total U.S. workforce – 38 million people at all degree levels who use STEM skills in their jobs, including 19 million skilled technical workers without a bachelor’s degree. That number will only rise as companies expand their STEM workforce and their R&D investments in response to rising global competition. The CHIPS & Science Act is now funding one response to global competition and national security risk -- the reshoring of our semiconductor production.

Meanwhile, key technological sectors, including semiconductors, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity, face major challenges in filling urgently needed job openings, and making the promise of economic development a reality. Let’s be clear –China is gaining on us, and it has articulated plans to increase its R&D investment even further. Indicators data show that China recently surpassed the United States in research publications and patent applications, and China’s growth in high impact articles is outpacing its overall growth in publications. These overall trends are also true for the specific field of artificial intelligence – a field that is critical to national security. We cannot risk falling behind.

We must address this crisis now. How?

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/04/09/its_time_for_a_us_stem_talent_strategy_to_compete_with_china_1023858.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: It’s Time for a U.S. STEM Talent Strategy To Compete With China
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 08:31:29 pm »
More than that, it needs unwoke leadership to compete with China. :im waiting:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online banddag

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 08:39:56 pm »
A CEO from Intel (can't remember??) was on CNBC some months back.  He said at current levels all of our colleges combined can only supply 10% of the stem degrees that will be needed in the future to master AI, automation and the future of electronics and we need a Marshall plan to push stem.  We are literally going from agriculture to the Industrialized age with AI
He also claims it will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, not eliminate them.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 10:17:58 pm »
A CEO from Intel (can't remember??) was on CNBC some months back.  He said at current levels all of our colleges combined can only supply 10% of the stem degrees that will be needed in the future to master AI, automation and the future of electronics and we need a Marshall plan to push stem.  We are literally going from agriculture to the Industrialized age with AI
He also claims it will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, not eliminate them.

I think it's just too late, since we're about 3 or 4 generations past the tipping point of our own ability to produce and sustain those STEM experts, especially since so much as been outsourced overseas to India and China.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 12:05:07 am »

It will eliminate lots of jobs which can be done by people with high school diplomas (though most of them require a college degree to get hired because HR departments use that as a filter), while it create hundreds of thousands of jobs for people who can actually complete STEM degrees at mid-level to top-level universities, until it also eliminates those because the AIs start being able to do them as well.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.