Author Topic: Manta Ray High-Endurance Underwater Drone Unveiled  (Read 103 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Manta Ray High-Endurance Underwater Drone Unveiled
« on: April 09, 2024, 08:26:11 pm »
Manta Ray High-Endurance Underwater Drone Unveiled
The testbed that mimics its namesake is designed to help DARPA hone its requirements for a new class of multi-mission submersible drones.

BY
OLIVER PARKEN
|
PUBLISHED APR 8, 2024 7:47 PM EDT

Northrop Grumman has completed the construction of its first full-scale Manta Ray uncrewed underwater vehicle, or UUV, prototype. The company is developing the drone under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) Manta Ray program, which seeks to demonstrate critical technologies for a new class of very long-endurance payload-capable UUVs.

The news was announced by Northrop earlier today, along with the release of the first image of its full-size testbed, seen in the feature image of this article. Now that its assembly has been finalized, the next step will be to actually test it, which Northrop has previously said will take place at some stage this year.
While details on the overall dimensions of the prototype have not been made public, Northrop describes it as an "extra-large glider" that draws inspiration from the "graceful glide" of the manta ray. In mimicking the shape and movement of the fish after which it's named, Northrop's drone features a lifting body that has sea glider-like properties, but is not a glider in the true sense of the term (i.e., it does not strictly employ variable-buoyancy propulsion alone instead of thrusters or propellers to move it forward).

https://www.twz.com/sea/manta-ray-extreme-endurance-underwater-drone-unveiled
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson