Author Topic: CALIFORNIA UNCOVERED700,000 Undocumented Californians Recently Became Eligible for Medi-Cal. Many Ma  (Read 126 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

CALIFORNIA UNCOVERED700,000 Undocumented Californians Recently Became Eligible for Medi-Cal. Many May Be Afraid to Sign Up.
Advocates say outreach is needed to ensure deportation fears do not stop immigrants from applying.

Published on April 9, 2024By George B. Sánchez-Tello

Perla Lopez, 35, works at St. John’s Community Health, a non-profit community health clinic in South Los Angeles. There, she helps patients, many of whom are undocumented immigrants, fill out applications for Medi-Cal, California’s Medicaid program. Since 2016, California has opened the program to undocumented residents, starting with children, then 19- to 25-year-olds, followed by adults 50 and older. In January, undocumented adults between 26 and 49 became eligible.

But state officials and health advocates worry that many of the more than 700,000 newly eligible residents may not enroll, either because they are not sure they would be eligible or even that drawing attention to themselves could lead to deportation.

Lopez’s job is to reassure undocumented residents that it is safe to receive Medi-Cal.

https://capitalandmain.com/more-than-700000-undocumented-californians-recently-became-eligible-for-medi-cal-many-may-be-afraid-to-sign-up
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
  Many May Be Afraid to Sign Up.

As Polish "newcomers" might say:  "tough shitski"
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson