Author Topic: Activists Want Energy Companies To Pay Climate Damages. That Could Imperil US National Security, For  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Washington Free Beacon by Adam Kredo 4/8/2024

Activists Want Energy Companies To Pay Climate Damages. That Could Imperil US National Security, Former Joint Chiefs Say.

Oil and gas 'critical to national security, economic stability and military preparedness'

Oil and gasoline products remain "critical to national security," two former chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a legal brief, weighing in on a closely watched court case in Hawaii that has activists calling on America's top energy companies to pay damages for contributions to climate change.

A decision against these companies could have massive repercussions on national security and foreign policy that have not been considered. "Oil and gas products are critical to national security, economic stability and military preparedness," retired Gen. Richard B. Myers and Adm. Michael G. Mullen wrote in an amicus brief filed last week to Hawaii's supreme court, which is handling the high-profile case.

The case has pitted the city of Honolulu against Sunoco, Exxon, Chevron, and other U.S. energy firms in what critics have described as a "hyper-ideological" bid by far-left activists to "strong-arm progressive lifestyle choices" on the American public and destroy the country's multibillion-dollar oil industry. The city wants these companies to pay billions to offset the alleged repercussions of climate change, potentially opening the floodgates for a flurry of similar cases from activists who are against the use of fossil fuels.

The two former military leaders weighed in on the case with a brief last week. They warned that those pursuing America's energy companies have not considered the national security role played by the firms, which have long-standing relations with the military and fuel operations across the globe. With the case potentially on track to reach the U.S. Supreme Court, Myers and Mullen are warning that a judgment against the energy companies could disrupt America's national security operations, with reverberations across the globe.

The Hawaii supreme court, which has permitted the case to proceed to trial, "did not address at all the 'foreign policy concerns'" related to a judgment that would effectively regulate emissions standards for every U.S. state, Myers and Mullen wrote. "State tort damages and abatement cases unduly risk constricting the availability of oil and gas to the detriment of national security interests, at a critical juncture in our Nation's history, when geopolitical forces and energy security are especially vulnerable to belligerent nations."

More: https://freebeacon.com/courts/activists-want-energy-companies-to-pay-climate-damages-that-could-imperil-us-national-security-former-joint-chiefs-say/

Offline LMAO

How do you make oil companies pay for climate damages? And what tangible evidence would you bring forward that oil companies are causing climate damage?

That’s not the same when there’s an oil spill and they have to pay for the cleanup. This idea seems  to be pretty subjective
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 07:01:57 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Kamaji

Offline Hoodat

Global warming activists cause climate change and should have to pay climate damages.

And I have just as much proof that they cause this as they have proof oil companies cause this.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Global warming activists cause climate change and should have to pay climate damages.

And I have just as much proof that they cause this as they have proof oil companies cause this.
Producing oil doesn't cause climate change any more than manufacturing guns causes crime.

Even going so far to accept that burning oil might cause "climate change" (which I do not), it is the end user who burns it, not the producer. Just as it is up to the end user whether a firearm is used to protect and defend, hunt for food, or commit a crime.

In that sense, those who fly their private jets all over to complain about oil companies causing 'climate change' are far more culpable than those who merely produced the fuel they burned.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

Producing oil doesn't cause climate change any more than manufacturing guns causes crime.

Even going so far to accept that burning oil might cause "climate change" (which I do not), it is the end user who burns it, not the producer. Just as it is up to the end user whether a firearm is used to protect and defend, hunt for food, or commit a crime.

In that sense, those who fly their private jets all over to complain about oil companies causing 'climate change' are far more culpable than those who merely produced the fuel they burned.

:thumbsup: