Author Topic: Governor makes hard drugs illegal again in complete U-turn of liberal policy  (Read 375 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Governor makes hard drugs illegal again in complete U-turn of liberal policy
© Provided by State Of The Union
Oregon has reversed its 2020 policy decriminalizing small amounts of drugs after overdoses and addiction sharply increased.

A new law signed by the Democratic governor makes drug possession a misdemeanor again and allows police to confiscate drugs.

It aims to divert people to treatment instead of jail.

The initial 2020 measure was passed by voters but later disapproved as fentanyl crisis grew.

“Republicans stood united and forced Democrats to do what Oregonians demanded: recriminalize drugs,” Oregon House Republican Leader Jeff Helfrich said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/governor-makes-hard-drugs-illegal-again-in-complete-u-turn-of-liberal-policy/ar-BB1levge?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=d99b1ca2615b4dfb9c3bdfc1f397b4e4&ei=58
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Surely democrats blamed global warming for all the problems they experienced with junkies. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

Idealism versus reality

I understand that there’s a lot of controversy surrounding the drug war. But obviously, this wasn’t the solution
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline The_Reader_David

The thing is, they never actually legalized them.  They decriminalized possession of small amounts of hard drugs, which has most of the downsides of legalization (less restraint on users) and most of the downsides of keeping them illegal (trade still in the hands of criminal gangs with no quality control, which is a major contributing factor to overdose deaths, and the cause of most drug-related crime even excluding the illegality of possession with intent to sell).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 12:21:04 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.