Author Topic: Regretting coming to US, some illegal Chinese immigrants return home  (Read 97 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Regretting coming to US, some illegal Chinese immigrants return home
April 08, 2024 9:04 AM
By Tracy Liu

AUSTIN, TEXAS —
Chinese migrants coming across the southern U.S. border say they made the treacherous journey to flee China’s authoritarian rule, to seek the American dream or escape growing political and economic uncertainty at home.

But the challenges do not end after they arrive, and some are deciding to return to China, while others have no choice.

Last April, Xia Yu arrived in the United States after traveling through more than 10 countries over a period of two months. Xia, a Chinese man in his 40s, asked to use a pseudonym so he could speak more freely with VOA Mandarin about his journey.

On his way to the U.S. border, he says, all his property was stolen, and his American dream did not come true: In immigration custody, he failed to pass the "credible fear interview” for asylum-seekers.

https://www.voanews.com/a/regretting-coming-to-us-some-illegal-chinese-immigrants-return-home/7561083.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson