Author Topic: Law Prof Challenges Validity of Special Counsel’s Appointment in Trump Classified Documents Case  (Read 213 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by Terrance Kible April 7, 2024

Special Counsel Smith exercises too much independent authority, according to the brief

A legal scholar and public interest legal organization have teamed up to challenge the classified documents indictment against Donald Trump. The scholar and organization filed a March 21 brief arguing that the delegation of authority to Special Counsel Jack Smith is invalid, rendering the indictment invalid, as well.

Prof. Seth Barrett Tillman and the Landmark Legal Foundation’s brief argue Smith’s appointment is invalid because Smith exercises too much independent authority for his position as an employee.

Smith has too much independent authority

Smith’s appointment furnishes him with “the full power and independent authority to exercise all investigative and prosecutorial functions of any United States Attorney.”

Tillman’s brief argues this delegation of authority goes too far because only “Officers of the United States” can hold such far-reaching authority and power and Smith is a “mere ’employee'” of the United States.

According to Tillman’s brief, an employee like Smith cannot exercise the “significant authority” of a U.S. Attorney without the supervision of an Officer of the United States.

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2024/04/law-prof-challenges-validity-of-special-counsels-appointment-in-trump-classified-documents-case/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I think they have a point!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien