Author Topic: Broken US border fosters disrespect and is an affront to our country  (Read 152 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Broken US border fosters disrespect and is an affront to our country
Opinion by Martin Gurri • 8h •

When my family arrived in the United States from Cuba, my father took me and my sister aside.

“We are now guests in this country, which was generous enough to invite us in,” he said. “Act accordingly.” We got the message. Not only were we expected to abide by American laws and customs, but we were to behave with the kind of courtesy and respect one would show when visiting someone else’s home.

Many years later, I happened to watch a televised conversation between President Barack Obama and a group of young persons who called themselves “dreamers” — a term I hadn’t heard before.

Dreamers, I learned, were undocumented aliens who had been brought to the US as minors and enjoyed certain protections against deportation. On TV, they behaved nothing like guests. They were full of grievances and accusations, making insistent demands on the president. For his part, Obama sounded defensive and apologetic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/broken-us-border-fosters-disrespect-and-is-an-affront-to-our-country/ar-BB1leMc0?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=2241fba29eb3436092b8cef37858fd9f&ei=8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson