Author Topic: Military Personnel Swear Allegiance to the Constitution and Serve the American People, Not One Leade  (Read 341 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military Personnel Swear Allegiance to the Constitution and Serve the American People, Not One Leader or Party

The Conversation | By Lee Robinson and Joseph G. Amoroso
Published April 04, 2024 at 9:35 am

This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

In general, Americans don't trust their government institutions as much as they used to -- and that includes the military.

In part, that's because the military can be used as a tool to gain a partisan advantage rather than as a professional group that should be trusted by both parties. For instance, the day he was inaugurated as president, Donald Trump spoke at a luncheon and pointed to retired Marine four-star generals John Kelly and James Mattis, who were serving in his cabinet. "See my generals," he said. "Those generals are going to keep us so safe." This was the first of many times that he referred to top-ranking military officers, whether active-duty or retired, as "my generals" -- rather than as military leaders who serve the nation as a whole.

The former president's actions, while perhaps gaining the most attention, reflect a trend among recent presidential candidates, both Democrats and Republicans, who emphasize their connections to the military.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/opinions/2024/04/04/military-personnel-swear-allegiance-constitution-and-serve-american-people-not-one-leader-or-party.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When they slammed the door on "Duty, Honor, Country", they opened the door to it though.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Trump really the first President to have ever done that? Color me skeptical.