Author Topic: Amid explosive demand, America is running out of power  (Read 1572 times)

Online libertybele

Amid explosive demand, America is running out of power
« on: April 06, 2024, 10:25:09 pm »

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly said the revised forecast for power needs in Georgia showed power use in the state increasing 17 times. New demand, not total demand, is projected to increase 17 times. The article also misspelled the name of the agency that advocates for Maryland ratepayers. It is the Maryland Office of People’s Counsel. The article has been corrected.

- - -
Vast swaths of the United States are at risk of running short of power as electricity-hungry data centers and clean-technology factories proliferate around the country, leaving utilities and regulators grasping for credible plans to expand the nation’s creaking power grid.

In Georgia, demand for industrial power is surging to record highs, with the projection of new electricity use for the next decade now 17 times what it was only recently. Arizona Public Service, the largest utility in that state, is also struggling to keep up, projecting it will be out of transmission capacity before the end of the decade absent major upgrades.

Northern Virginia needs the equivalent of several large nuclear power plants to serve all the new data centers planned and under construction. Texas, where electricity shortages are already routine on hot summer days, faces the same dilemma.

The soaring demand is touching off a scramble to try to squeeze more juice out of an aging power grid while pushing commercial customers to go to extraordinary lengths to lock down energy sources, such as building their own power plants.

“When you look at the numbers, it is staggering,” said Jason Shaw, chairman of the Georgia Public Service Commission, which regulates electricity. “It makes you scratch your head and wonder how we ended up in this situation. How were the projections that far off? This has created a challenge like we have never seen before.”

A major factor behind the skyrocketing demand is the rapid innovation in artificial intelligence, which is driving the construction of large warehouses of computing infrastructure that require exponentially more power than traditional data centers. AI is also part of a huge scale-up of cloud computing. Tech firms like Amazon, Apple, Google, Meta and Microsoft are scouring the nation for sites for new data centers, and many lesser-known firms are also on the hunt.

The proliferation of crypto-mining, in which currencies like bitcoin are transacted and minted, is also driving data center growth. It is all putting new pressures on an overtaxed grid - the network of transmission lines and power stations that move electricity around the country. Bottlenecks are mounting, leaving both new generators of energy, particularly clean energy, and large consumers facing growing wait times for hookups........

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/amid-explosive-demand-america-running-152219813.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online rustynail

Re: Amid explosive demand, America is running out of power
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 10:37:17 pm »
We may soon be told 24-7 residential electricity is a privilege not a right.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 11:13:12 pm »
They have an official name for power rationing in South Africa, forget what it is.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 11:15:43 pm »
We may soon be told 24-7 residential electricity is a privilege not a right.

You will only be allowed so much electricity per household and if you go over that amount, you will have to pay a fee -- but if you would have just listened to the government and gone solar -- you wouldn't be having to pay the extra costs.  :whistle:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online banddag

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 11:21:16 pm »
It will be a challenge but we will work it out. Every country in the world is investing here now. The money invested from foreign countries in 2023 in the US is the greatest in our countries history. All of the top 10 private space programs are now based in the US. Why is that?

The US is coming back as the top research and tech center of the world. After a many year decline, health care inventions  are now almost all from the US or at least moving in that direction.. Our economy and invention prowess and freedoms are greater than any President or party.

Would you invest in China or Russia? India's bureaucracy is mind staggering and the country's economy is based upon red tape and bribes. Europe is being defeated by a negative birth rate, Italy is selling homes to foreigners for $1 just to get warm bodies in. 11 million empty homes in Japan-more than the entire country of Australia. Also selling for a $1
We have current problems but the pendulum always swings back.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 11:28:57 pm by banddag »

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 12:18:45 am »
It will be a challenge but we will work it out. Every country in the world is investing here now. The money invested from foreign countries in 2023 in the US is the greatest in our countries history. All of the top 10 private space programs are now based in the US. Why is that?

The US is coming back as the top research and tech center of the world. After a many year decline, health care inventions  are now almost all from the US or at least moving in that direction.. Our economy and invention prowess and freedoms are greater than any President or party.

Would you invest in China or Russia? India's bureaucracy is mind staggering and the country's economy is based upon red tape and bribes. Europe is being defeated by a negative birth rate, Italy is selling homes to foreigners for $1 just to get warm bodies in. 11 million empty homes in Japan-more than the entire country of Australia. Also selling for a $1
We have current problems but the pendulum always swings back.

Welcome to The Briefing Room @banddag   

Countries are investing here or are they buying up U.S. companies (what is left of them)??  Not many are holding our treasuries which has weakened our economy -- foreign investors are here to get a foothold in our country. I'm not seeing that scenario as necessarily a good thing.

I'm not sure I agree with you on our economy; for one, BRIC's -- that allegiance has weakened our economy and there is talk of China accumulating gold and trying to convince others (I believe Saudi Arabia is now involved) to go back to the gold standard.  That would crush the U.S. economy and devalue if not eliminate the U.S. dollar.

I couldn't find current stats on how much gold the U.S. holds vs China.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 12:25:27 am »

We are doing no such thing!  We could easily have plentiful and cheap energy if the PTB would allow it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 12:28:36 am »
We are doing no such thing!  We could easily have plentiful and cheap energy if the PTB would allow it.

There's that, and there's also no denying that we have an 'aging' power grid.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 12:33:55 am »
There's that, and there's also no denying that we have an 'aging' power grid.

How much $$$ has been thrown to the wind fooling around with fool's errands that could have gone toward fixing that!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online LMAO

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2024, 12:36:31 am »

Not many are holding our treasuries which has weakened our economy -

You sure?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/foreign-holdings-us-treasuries-surge-all-time-high-december-data-2024-02-15/

Despite the gloom and doom, the US economy is actually doing fairly well and surviving the bumbling and stumbling of Biden and his cabinet

« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:38:10 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2024, 12:42:39 am »
How much $$$ has been thrown to the wind fooling around with fool's errands that could have gone toward fixing that!

Exactly.

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2024, 12:43:54 am »
You sure?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/foreign-holdings-us-treasuries-surge-all-time-high-december-data-2024-02-15/

Despite the gloom and doom, the US economy is actually doing fairly well and surviving the bumbling and stumbling of Biden and his cabinet

I stand corrected. Thank you for posting that -- you just gave me a slight glimmer of hope.   happy77
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:46:16 am by libertybele »

Online LMAO

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2024, 12:50:17 am »
The biggest long term threat to the US economy is the debt to gdp ratio of over 100% and rising with no end in sight. Then the unwillingness to tackle the SS and Medicare funding issue because, according to some, that will just upset the Democrats

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online banddag

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 12:52:59 am »
Welcome to The Briefing Room @banddag   

I'm not sure I agree with you on our economy; for one, BRIC's -- that allegiance has weakened our economy and there is talk of China accumulating gold and trying to convince others (I believe Saudi Arabia is now involved) to go back to the gold standard.  That would crush the U.S. economy and devalue if not eliminate the U.S. dollar.

Thank you.
Not sure if I would want to invest BRIC Currency. China and Russia economies are imploding and they are reverting back to authoritarian police states.

My cousin works for a US company that makes industrial chemical sniffers and they moved to China back in the early 2000's. We almost got in a fistfight over it when I called him a free traitor.
Saw him at a family reunion last summer. Boy, has he changed. None of the US employees  want to go back to China because they think they could possibly be detained or jailed. He said it is only a matter of time their company is nationalized.  True story.

Online banddag

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 01:01:32 am »

I live in a moderate part of the US. Local economy not booming or nor crashing. Just plugging along. We want to build a carriage barn. We narrowed it down to 2 builders.  The earliest either of them can start is fall of 2026.

The economy is not that bad. The people who are hurting are retirees and employees with no education of job skills. We have billboards everywhere offering sign on bonus but they are all in  healthcare and the skilled trades.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2024, 01:04:43 am »
Thank you.
Not sure if I would want to invest BRIC Currency. China and Russia economies are imploding and they are reverting back to authoritarian police states.

My cousin works for a US company that makes industrial chemical sniffers and they moved to China back in the early 2000's. We almost got in a fistfight over it when I called him a free traitor.
Saw him at a family reunion last summer. Boy, has he changed. None of the US employees  want to go back to China because they think they could possibly be detained or jailed. He said it is only a matter of time their company is nationalized.  True story.

My youngest son is fluent in several dialects of Chinese. Some years ago, while he was in college, he did an internship with a major U. S. tech company in Bejing for two summers. To say that was a VERY eye-opening experience for him would be a gross understatement.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2024, 02:38:16 am »
You sure?

What's hurting Biden is people realizing how much cheaper everthing was in 2020 and earlier.

Online LMAO

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2024, 11:05:09 am »
What's hurting Biden is people realizing how much cheaper everthing was in 2020 and earlier.

That, and the border

Unfortunately, neither candidate is serious about the inflation issue
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 12:24:25 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2024, 08:13:54 pm »
You will only be allowed so much electricity per household and if you go over that amount, you will have to pay a fee -- but if you would have just listened to the government and gone solar -- you wouldn't be having to pay the extra costs.  :whistle:

They've already implemented demand spike charges here in Iowa if your household uses too much power at any given moment during the month.
The Republic is lost.

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 08:24:18 pm »

Of course people have realized that their wallets our shrinking. Our buying power is significantly less than when Trump took office.  Prices haven't gone down, some items that I used to buy are still no longer available and gas prices around here are now hovering around $3.75/gal.

There is no border security, mobs are still gathering, squatters are now a problem and the invasion is spreading into the smaller cities.

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 08:24:59 pm »
They've already implemented demand spike charges here in Iowa if your household uses too much power at any given moment during the month.

**nononono*  Not good.

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2024, 02:51:34 am »
I'm sorry, they call it "loadshedding" in South Africa, where they have scheduled blackouts. I wonder if we'll get them here?

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2024, 03:17:39 am »

It's not as if the USA was being managed in a survivable manner.

It's that the rest of the world is being managed even more atrociously!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online LMAO

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2024, 04:18:34 am »

It's not as if the USA was being managed in a survivable manner.

It's that the rest of the world is being managed even more atrociously!

Yup

I’ve heard our current situation being described as the “tallest midget in the room”

Barry Goldwater