Author Topic: Marine Corps Develops New Missiles & Warships for "Island Hopping" Amphibious Warfare  (Read 115 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marine Corps Develops New Missiles & Warships for "Island Hopping" Amphibious Warfare
Island hopping attacks, multi-domain operations and transportable, expeditionary weapons are all key Concepts of Operation informing the Marine Corps deterrence
KRIS OSBORN, WARRIOR MAVEN - CENTER FOR MILITARY MODERNIZATIONAPR 4, 2024
By Kris Osborn, President, Center for Military Modernization

Island hopping attack, multi-domain operations and transportable, expeditionary weapons are all key Concepts of Operation informing the Marine Corps deterrence and conflict preparation strategy for the Pacific theater.

The Corps has established special “littoral” units for the specific purpose of refining an ability to conduct warfare operations in coastal and island areas throughout the Pacific such as the island chains in the South China Sea. As part of this, the Corps’ Marine Corps Force Design 2030 document calls for specific “stand-in” ready forces capable to conducting offensive operations in close proximity to enemy areas within the larger perimeter reach of longer-range weapons.

This transition, which includes a Corps emphasis on multi-domain operations and expeditionary weapons systems, has inspired the service to work with industry partners to anticipate future threats and requirements. For instance, forward operating “stand-in” forces will, according to Force Design, operate with a much greater concentration of drones, unmanned systems and manned-unmanned teaming to ensure mobile ISR and targeting and sustain connectivity with stand-off forces and other command and control nodes. Stand-In forces will also need self-protective capabilities and offensive firepower typically less available to mobile, dismounted, island-hopping units. These kinds of mission challenges, threats and operational expectations form much of the inspirational rationale for the Marine Corps emerging Light Amphibious Warship.

https://warriormaven.com/sea/marine-corps-develops-new-missiles-warships-for-island-hopping-amphibious-warfare
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson