Author Topic: The Size and Growth of the Immigrant Population in the U.S.  (Read 199 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Size and Growth of the Immigrant Population in the U.S.
« on: April 06, 2024, 10:00:17 am »
The Size and Growth of the Immigrant Population in the U.S.
Parsing Immigration Policy, Episode 149

By Mark Krikorian and Steven A. Camarota on April 4, 2024
View Podcast Archive

The starting point of any conversation about immigration should be the numbers. This week’s episode of the Center for Immigration Studies podcast highlights a recent report co-authored by Steven Camarota, the Center’s director of research, which examines the number and share of the foreign-born in the United States.

The total foreign-born population, encompassing both legal and illegal immigrants, has soared to a record high of 51.4 million as of February 2024, marking a monumental increase of 6.4 million since President Biden assumed office. This increase has driven the foreign-born share to an unprecedented 15.5% of the population, eclipsing historical benchmarks like that seen in 1910 and reaching a level that the Census Bureau had estimated the country would not reach until 2039.

Camarota discusses the impact of policy decisions on immigration trends, noting, “This level of growth over such a short period of time was clearly caused by policy changes.” He emphasizes that “without new policies, there is no reason to believe there will be a slowdown in population growth in the future.”

The implication of these historically high numbers, coupled with the growing share of the immigration population, impacts crucial aspects of American society, including assimilation, linguistic integration, and the economy. Camarota highlights the changing demographics – greater proportion of Latin American immigrants, more illegal immigrants, and a trend towards lower educational attainment.

https://cis.org/Parsing-Immigration-Policy/Size-and-Growth-Immigrant-Population-US
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Size and Growth of the Immigrant Population in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 09:12:09 pm »
A challenge to any member who will answer:

Do you still believe that population growth is always good?

Will ten million more change your mind?
How about 30 million more?

How about 150 million more?

Hey, "growth" is always "good", right?
Right...?