Author Topic: Experts predict "extremely active" Atlantic hurricane season  (Read 513 times)

Offline libertybele

Experts predict "extremely active" Atlantic hurricane season
« on: April 05, 2024, 06:42:59 pm »
Get ready.  Here we go again.  :0001:

Experts predict "extremely active" Atlantic hurricane season

Get ready to batten down the hatches. Experts have predicted an "extremely active" 2024 Atlantic hurricane season.

"We anticipate a well above-average probability for major hurricanes making landfall along the continental United States coastline and in the Caribbean," researchers from the Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project said in a 44-page report released on Thursday.

Activity in the 2024 season will rise considerably above the 1991-2020 average, with researchers predicting 23 named storms and 115 named storm days. Previous years had an average of 14.4 named storms and 69.4 named storm days.

The Atlantic hurricane season officially starts June 1 and finishes November 30, with most activity occurring between mid-August and mid-October. Hurricane activity tends to peak in mid-September, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Warm sea surface temperatures combined with a warm tropical Atlantic — all intensified by La Niña conditions — set high expectations for an extremely active period. La Niña conditions, which are set to arrive this summer, decrease vertical wind shear and increase favorable conditions for hurricanes.

"The probability of U.S. and Caribbean major hurricane landfall is estimated to be well above its long-period average," researchers said, with the probability in some areas jumping more than 10% to almost 20%.

Researchers predicted a 62% chance of a Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricane making landfall on the continental U.S. coastline, an increase from the average prediction of 43%.

Along the East Coast, including the Florida peninsula, the probability jumped to 34% from 21% – which was the average likelihood from 1880-2020. Along the Gulf Coast and Florida Panhandle, the increase was higher. Researchers predicted a 42% probability in that area, up from an average of 27% in previous years. ..................

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/atlantic-hurricane-season-2024-predictions-colorado-state/

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: Experts predict "extremely active" Atlantic hurricane season
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 07:18:28 pm »
 ////00000////

A great excuse for insurance companies to raise rates.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 07:20:56 pm »
bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 07:29:25 pm »
////00000////

A great excuse for insurance companies to raise rates.

Oh, believe me, they already have. People are still living in their cars after Ian because of not being able to settle with their insurance companies and now homeowner's insurance is not affordable.  Flood insurance is going to climb another 25%. Where was FEMA after Ian???

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 07:32:36 pm »
 :bkmk:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 07:48:07 pm »
Are these some of the same chumps that indicate climate change is the single greatest existential threat to this nation?  If so, I predict a somewhat normal hurricane season, and if we have one Cat 5 hurricane, ONE, they will be declaring themselves correct in their forecast.

Facts, scientific facts have been tossed for decades with these idiots predicting weather, climate, etc.

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 07:57:16 pm »
When was the last time they didn't predict an "extremely active" hurricane season?   :pondering:
Let it burn.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 09:53:25 pm »
I would like to look back and verify the accuracy of past predictions like this.

But my favorite part is that it came from this:

Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project

Asking a Colorado university for their opinion on hurricanes is like critiquing a music project from St. Audoin's School for the Deaf.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 10:41:46 pm »
When was the last time they didn't predict an "extremely active" hurricane season?   :pondering:

Well, since 1990, FL has been hit with 11 major hurricanes (Cat 3 or higher).

Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi have seen their share of deadly storms and hurricanes as well.

I think the inclusion of tropical storms are considered when predicting an active hurricane season.

Hopefully we'll be entering a more quiet period soon.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 10:45:33 pm »
X= quantity or quality unknown

Spurt = drip under pressure
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien