Author Topic: Deployed troops inhaled toxic air even while off-duty, study finds  (Read 378 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Deployed troops inhaled toxic air even while off-duty, study finds
By Leo Shane III
 Apr 4, 11:52 AM

Newly released research warns that troops who served overseas since 2001 faced significant levels of airborne contaminants both while on duty or at rest, underscoring the potential long-term health risks facing all individuals who deployed.

The research, conducted by the National Jewish Health and the United States Geological Survey, found high levels of silica and other particulate matter in the lungs of troops who served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Qatar, Kuwait and other Southwest Asian locations.

The findings pointed to air contamination, not just from burn pits used to dispose of military waste but also sandstorms and vehicle exhaust fumes, all of which created toxic conditions regardless of the missions being performed.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/2024/04/04/deployed-troops-inhaled-toxic-air-even-while-off-duty-study-finds/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Deployed troops inhaled toxic air even while off-duty, study finds
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 03:47:44 pm »
I know beyond the shadow of a doubt the US is totally responsible! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 05:24:10 am »
Plenty of toxic fumes inside some of GP tents when guys have been eating nothing but MRE's for a few weeks.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 01:07:49 pm »
I never thought of it before, but your reply brings to mind all the toxic fumes on aircraft carriers.  I worked in meteorology which was no protection from their toxicity.  In addition to jet exhaust, our office was next to a fueling station pump.  I had a lot of gas to add to the toxicity which my division mates claimed was a result of the cloud (you know - meteorology) called anus stinkalotus that followed me around.  I see the similarity. 000hehehehe
Thomas Jefferson