Author Topic: Ranked choice voting could be on the ballot for DC come November  (Read 305 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ranked choice voting could be on the ballot for DC come November
By
Peyton Sorosinski
April 4, 2024 11:41 am

Washington, D.C. voters will get the opportunity in November to choose whether or not they want to implement a ranked choice voting initiative.

The ballot measure, also known as Initiative 83, was proposed by an organization called Make All Votes Count and spearheaded by Lisa D.T. Rice, an advisory neighborhood commissioner from Ward 7.

The initiative seeks to allow independent voters to participate in party primaries and gives voters the ability to choose a preferred candidate first, and if they don’t win, voters can choose their next favorite until one candidate can secure more than half of the votes.

“We deserve a better system,” Rice told the Eagle. “Our current system consistently benefits entrenched politicians with deep pockets; very much not serving the younger demographic.”

The voting system helps to elect more women and minority candidates, according to the organization’s website. 

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/2953078/ranked-choice-voting-could-be-on-the-ballot-for-dc-come-november/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Ranked choice voting could be on the ballot for DC come November
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 10:10:51 pm »
Ranked Choice Voting is a communist tool to change winners into losers and losers into winners.

When I speak of the "underground and above-ground election apparatus" elsewhere in the forum, RCV falls into the "above-ground" category.

Won't matter much in DC, however.
The vote there is around 90% to the left to begin with...

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 10:37:38 pm »
We have enough trouble counting ballots for winner-take-all / plurality-take-all elections.

Ranked choice voting is "hanging chads2".
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 12:30:18 pm »
What exactly is the problem with ranked choice voting?  I understand MAGA relies on scorched-earth character assassination, which made it impossible for them to win the Alaska house seat.  But it seems this method is preferable to financing a runoff election in Georgia or Louisiana.  It also quells any concerns about spoiler candidates.