Author Topic: Biden closes in on BANNING menthol cigarettes despite furious opposition from civil rights groups cl  (Read 1915 times)

Online libertybele

Biden closes in on BANNING menthol cigarettes despite furious opposition from civil rights groups claiming it will punish minority communities and small businesses

The White House may soon finalize a long-awaited ban on menthol cigarettes after pressure from special interest groups, with some saying the ban could negatively impact minority communities.

Menthol cigarettes account for nearly one-third of the industry's market share in the U.S., meaning they are broadly popular with smokers.

They have also long been particularly popular with Black smokers, with 81 percent of them opting for the menthol varieties, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The minty flavoring that is added to these products typically appeals to young, first-time smokers, making them dangerous in the eyes of the White House, medical associations and civil rights groups.

But advocates against the ban argue it could hurt minorities and small businesses. ...............

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13271897/biden-banning-menthol-cigarettes-civil-rights.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online rustynail

Online libertybele

More government mandates and overreach.  No worries, Uncle Joe knows what's best for you!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

Sounds like the Biden administration doesn't like black folk.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
California has already done this, and I was sure the African Americans would be pissed.  Nope, still voting Rat.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
California has already done this, and I was sure the African Americans would be pissed.  Nope, still voting Rat.
They just get it from somewhere else. Might even be cheaper than buying in California.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They just get it from somewhere else. Might even be cheaper than buying in California.

Smokers in Maryland travel across the Potomac River into Virginia to buy cartons of cigarettes.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

Smokers in Maryland travel across the Potomac River into Virginia to buy cartons of cigarettes.

Virginia Commonwealth tax on cigarettes is 30¢ per pack.  In the Peoples Republic of Maryland, it is $2.00 per pack.

I seriously doubt Biden will place a ban on cigarettes.  They are the best thing the government has going for them.  Collect huge taxes throughout a person's lifetime until they die from smoking just before they become eligible for Social Security.

Government wants you to smoke.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I'm surprised Meathead Reiner hasn't weighed in on this with his 'for the children' crapola, or maybe he's just as big a racist and A-hole and doesn't give a damn about Black children. Or only democrats in Californication are dumb enough to listen to him. Of course here in California where menthols were banned the Indian reservations just flipped the state the bird and filled the need while, oh yeah making money, I assume this will be the norm wherever menthols or any  other tobacco product is banned.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Gotta get dem Newports in...

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Incrementalism, y'all. That's their technique.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline mountaineer

Ads didn't target only blacks.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online corbe

As expected.

Biden delays menthol ban amid 2024 concerns over black support

By Haisten Willis
April 5, 2024 5:00 am

A two-year-old proposal to ban menthol cigarettes may be delayed until after the 2024 election as President Joe Biden weighs a move that could risk eroding his support within the black community.

The Food and Drug Administration first proposed banning menthols and flavored cigars in April 2022 but has since missed two deadlines for finalizing the rule, the second of which expired at the end of March.

“The FDA remains committed to issuing the tobacco product standards for menthol in cigarettes and characterizing flavors in cigars as expeditiously as possible,” the agency said in a statement, noting that the process is in its final stage. “As we’ve made clear, these product standards remain at the top of our priorities.”

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/2954041/biden-delays-menthol-ban-2024-concerns-black-support/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

• Technical
Cigs are bad for you. Who doesn't know that by now? Why is pot so healthy and tobacco so bad nowadays?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
My father smoked a pack of cigarettes right up to the day he learned he had lung cancer. 

Through the twenty +/- years prior of me begging him to stop smoking, he would just wave his hand at me and say 'that is all nonsense'.  Yeah right!!!

They gave him chemo and radiation, gave him a clean bill of health after six months of torture, and six months after that, he was diagnosed with a metastasized tumor in his esophagus.  The fine docs said he was maxed out on chemo and radiation, there was nothing therapeutic they could do, and they gave him two months to get his affairs in order before checking out.

Only then did he listen to me and begin using shark cartilage.  Kept him alive two years.  For whatever reason, he quit using the shark cartilage.  One month later, he had a tumor pop out on his leg, the docs surgically removed said tumor.  One month later he died.  He lived two months as the docs indicated without using the shark cartilage.  Had he continued to use it, he would have lived longer.

I find it laughable that Biden wants to end menthol cigs and yet most likely supports legalizing grass.  I do not believe either one is healthy. 

With an aging population, I am certain the government wants to do what they can to shorten longevity in the USA.  Too many damn old people!!!  COVID helped with all that, but with the Baby Boom generation, they need to reduce those numbers dramatically.  There will be another bio weapon unleashed like COVID, it is only a matter of a short time!!!

Offline goatprairie

Cigs are bad for you. Who doesn't know that by now? Why is pot so healthy and tobacco so bad nowadays?
Because pot-addled hippies now control the bureaucracy?  :shrug:

Offline goatprairie

I'm old enough to remember when I thought all adults smoked smoking was so prevalent. That was back in the fifties and sixties. Even in the early seventies when I started working in an office many of the people smoked at their desks.  The company didn't ban smoking at work until the eighties.
Both my parents smoked. My mother got a real rough throat in her mid sixties which scared her enough to quit. She lived twenty more years. My father got bladder cancer which caused him to stop smoking a pipe in his sixties. He lived to be 93.
As a fan of old movies I'm amused by how it seems all the actors are smokers. Reading the bios of those old actors I'm struck by how many died from lung cancer.
Of course, because they smoked onscreen doesn't necessarily meant that they were heavy smokers in real life, but many of them were heavy smokers in real life. Yul Bryner is probably the most well-known example. Five packs a day.
Michael Landon was a heavy smoker which probably contributed to his death from pancreatic cancer.

Offline Hoodat

Cigs are bad for you. Who doesn't know that by now?

For all you make smokers out there, always check the label.  Limit yourself to the cigarettes that cause low birth weight.

Stay away from the ones that cause cancer and heart disease.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

• Technical
For all you make smokers out there, always check the label.  Limit yourself to the cigarettes that cause low birth weight.

Stay away from the ones that cause cancer and heart disease.

Haha... that was that comedian's joke, he eventually got lung cancer and died. Not Mitch Hedberg, I forget his name.

• Technical
I'm old enough to remember when I thought all adults smoked smoking was so prevalent. That was back in the fifties and sixties. Even in the early seventies when I started working in an office many of the people smoked at their desks.  The company didn't ban smoking at work until the eighties.
Both my parents smoked. My mother got a real rough throat in her mid sixties which scared her enough to quit. She lived twenty more years. My father got bladder cancer which caused him to stop smoking a pipe in his sixties. He lived to be 93.
As a fan of old movies I'm amused by how it seems all the actors are smokers. Reading the bios of those old actors I'm struck by how many died from lung cancer.
Of course, because they smoked onscreen doesn't necessarily meant that they were heavy smokers in real life, but many of them were heavy smokers in real life. Yul Bryner is probably the most well-known example. Five packs a day.
Michael Landon was a heavy smoker which probably contributed to his death from pancreatic cancer.

John Wayne and Walt Disney were both chain smokers I believe, both died of cancer.

Offline Hoodat

John Wayne and Walt Disney were both chain smokers I believe, both died of cancer.

Yul Brenner smoked five packs a day.

I grew up in a tobacco state.  Hospital beds included ash trays.  School teachers smoked in class.  Good times.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

Yul Brenner smoked five packs a day.

I grew up in a tobacco state.  Hospital beds included ash trays.  School teachers smoked in class.  Good times.
Watch movies, especially film noir flicks, from the forties and fifties. It seems everybody smokes. There are hardly any scenes involving more than one character where somebody is not smoking.
Which what I seem to remember from that era.
Again, both parents smoked a lot. I'll bet my clothes must have smelled like tobacco smoke although I didn't notice it at the time. Only when I got older, left home, and left a bar did I notice the smell of tobacco.  Which now scares me after all the years of breathing in second hand smoke growing up.

Offline goatprairie

Haha... that was that comedian's joke, he eventually got lung cancer and died. Not Mitch Hedberg, I forget his name.
I remember comedian Bill Hicks lighting up during a gig and razzing the audience informing them that everybody is going to die from something.
For Hicks death came quite early from pancreatic cancer at age 33. Other heavy smokers who died from pancreatic cancer include Michael Landon and Patrick Swayze.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Watch movies, especially film noir flicks, from the forties and fifties. It seems everybody smokes. There are hardly any scenes involving more than one character where somebody is not smoking.
Which what I seem to remember from that era.
Again, both parents smoked a lot. I'll bet my clothes must have smelled like tobacco smoke although I didn't notice it at the time. Only when I got older, left home, and left a bar did I notice the smell of tobacco.  Which now scares me after all the years of breathing in second hand smoke growing up.
Watching 'Mission Impossible' on streaming, and yes, everybody smokes. What struck me was when one the the agents wanted to impersonate a mafia guy. The first question he asked was, "How does he hold his cigarette". He didn't ask if the guy smokes, because of course he does. He just wanted to know how to smoke like the guy he was going to replace.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There used to be huge smuggling operations running untaxed cigarettes from the Carolinas up US 301 to MD and states north (NY was a popular destination)...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis