Author Topic: Navy Should Put More Emphasis on Personnel in Ship Design, Says Analyst  (Read 198 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Should Put More Emphasis on Personnel in Ship Design, Says Analyst
JOHN GRADY
APRIL 2, 2024 12:15 PM

The Navy should “go back to the front end,” thinking about the people needed for building, crewing and maintaining vessels, not just potential threats, a senior naval analyst advised Thursday.

Speaking at the Woodrow Wilson Center, Ronald O’Rourke of the Congressional Research Service said “the Navy is facing challenges … in pretty much everything.”

In answering a question about uncrewed vessels in the fleet, he said by realizing “people are scarce,” the result will be “a Navy that looks different” from today’s, in which the emphasis has been placed on looking outward.

Jonathan Caverley of the Naval Warfare College said requirements such as ship maintenance are “not something you can just do from Arizona,” like piloting an unmanned aerial vehicle.

https://news.usni.org/2024/04/02/navy-should-put-more-emphasis-on-personnel-in-ship-design-says-analyst
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
These are warships, not part of Carnival Cruise lines.  Sure, there are inconveniences, but they just go with the territory and eventually you get used to them.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
These are warships, not part of Carnival Cruise lines.  Sure, there are inconveniences, but they just go with the territory and eventually you get used to them.

The problem, I believe, going back to CNO Vern Clark's disastrous "less is more" tenure, is that the basic necessities for the crew, such as enough racks and head facilities, were altogether eliminated in the belief that future ships would be mostly automated.  Didn't happen so now crew members have to double and triple rack everything, with little or no space for their clothing and gear.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus