Author Topic: Company that aids immigrants in federal detention ordered to pay over $811m in lawsuit over deceptiv  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Company that aids immigrants in federal detention ordered to pay over $811m in lawsuit over deceptive and abusive tactics
BYPHILIP MARCELO AND THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
April 3, 2024 at 4:45 AM EDT

A company that provides services for immigrants in federal detention was ordered Tuesday to pay more than $811 million in restitution and penalties in a lawsuit alleging it used deceptive and abusive tactics.

Nexus Services must pay roughly $231 million in restitution as well as penalties of $13.8 million to New York, $7.1 million to Virginia and $3.4 million to Massachusetts, according to a judgement filed in federal court for the Western District of Virginia in Harrisonburg. The Virginia-based company, its subsidiary Libre by Nexus and its three executives must also each pay more than $111 million in civil penalties.

“This judgment is a victory for thousands of immigrant families who lost their life savings and were targeted and preyed on by Libre,” New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement. “Libre exploited vulnerable immigrants and their families to pad its pockets, and that is illegal and unconscionable.”

https://fortune.com/2024/04/03/nexus-services-immigrants-federal-detention-ordered-pay-811m-lawsuit-deceptive-abusive-tactics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
God forbid, though, illegal "newcomers" should be charged with crimes for being in this country illegally or, in many cases, for criminal activities while here!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson