Author Topic: Shelter conditions, measles have migrants ‘on edge’: volunteer  (Read 191 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Shelter conditions, measles have migrants ‘on edge’: volunteer

(NewsNation) — A measles outbreak inside Chicago’s largest migrant shelter has residents living in the facility on edge, anxious about potentially getting sick while in reportedly “unlivable” conditions, according to a shelter volunteer.

Health officials have reported 53 measles cases in and around Chicago, the majority in the shelter in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood. It’s home to 1,256 migrants, according to a city spokesperson.

Maria Perez, who volunteers at the shelter five days a week with the Southwest Collective, said that as cases continue to rise — not only in Chicago but around the United States — so does the level of concern among the new arrivals living at the facility.

Measles cases are rising in the US. What you need to know
“They’re in this predicament – they don’t know anything, what goes on here, they don’t know our resources,” Perez told NewsNation. “If they get (measles), they don’t know what long-term effect there will be on their child, or what long-term effect there would be on an adult.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/shelter-conditions-measles-have-migrants-on-edge-volunteer/ar-BB1kXKYp?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=b973aaef89d34712a5e602ec39e88376&ei=39
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Shelter conditions, measles have migrants ‘on edge’: volunteer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 01:44:22 pm »
Poor babies expected 5=star living conditions and "other" disease ridden "nowcomers" to be disease cleared before being put with them. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 01:48:33 pm »
At the hospital, we have a memo going around warning about the spike in measles cases

But they blame it on “international travel.”

This is why I would be a bad PR person for any company. I wouldn’t mince words.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 01:50:38 pm »
Our replacements the Newcomers will remember how they were treated and it may not end well for the Remainders.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 01:53:14 pm »
Illegal immigration IS international travel but, like the people who run your hospital, media doesn't want to say its due to illegal "newcomers." **nononono*
Thomas Jefferson