Author Topic: Mitch McConnell, 82, Vows to Remain in Senate to Fight His Own Party  (Read 570 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mitch McConnell, 82, Vows to Remain in Senate to Fight His Own Party

Wendell Husebø 2 Apr 2024

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), 82, intends to remain in the U.S. Senate to oppose conservatives who support a truce between Russia and Ukraine, he said Monday.

McConnell announced in February he would step down as Senate minority leader at the end of the cycle following health issues and incidents of freezing up during press conferences. He is the longest-serving party leader in Senate history.

In an interview on WHAS, Terry Meiner asked McConnell what his “mindset” is “when your feet hit the floor in the morning?”

“I’m not leaving the Senate,” McConnell said. “I’m particularly involved in actually fighting back against the isolationist movement in my own party. …Andd the symbol of that lately is ‘Are we gonna help Ukraine or not?’”

“I’ve got this sort of on my mind for the next couple years as something I’m going to focus on,” he said.

McConnell slammed conservatives like Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) who oppose financially supporting the war in Ukraine.

“What’s made it more troublesome is, it seems to me, others are heading in that direction, making arguments that are easily refuted. We’re not losing any of our troops; the Ukrainians are the ones doing the fighting,” McConnell said. “If the Russians take Ukraine, some NATO country would be next and then we will be right in the middle of it.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/2024-election/2024/04/02/mitch-mcconnell-82-vows-remain-senate-fight-his-own-party/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

Re: Mitch McConnell, 82, Vows to Remain in Senate to Fight His Own Party
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 05:42:21 pm »
Enjoy yourself, it is later than you think.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 06:04:29 pm »

“What’s made it more troublesome is, it seems to me, others are heading in that direction, making arguments that are easily refuted. We’re not losing any of our troops; the Ukrainians are the ones doing the fighting,” McConnell said. “If the Russians take Ukraine, some NATO country would be next and then we will be right in the middle of it.”

Well of course it's troublesome, you still need to deliver to the defense contractors and nothing delivers to them like war. Mitch you are just one aneurysm away from the vegetable patch or a box in the ground....I wish it saddened me to say I hope it's soon, but it doesn't :shrug:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:26:54 pm »
How long he stays in the Senate may not be up to him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 07:38:47 pm »
Mitch McConnell, 82, Vows to Remain in Senate to Fight His Own Party

The headline's claim that McConnell is staying in the Senate to "oppose his own party" is based solely on his support for Ukraine.   Of course, because he's not the only Republican who supports continuing to fund Ukraine, I think all those Republicans who oppose aid to Ukraine could likewise be accused of"opposing their own party."

Trump's position on Ukraine is part of the reason I won't vote for him.  Same as I didn't vote for J.D. Vance.

Just not a fan of this neo-isolationism.  And I do distinguish that from someone like Rand who is just an across the board deficit hawk.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:41:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 07:45:59 pm »
The headline's claim that McConnell is staying in the Senate to "oppose his own party" is based solely on his support for Ukraine.   Of course, because he's not the only Republican who supports continuing to fund Ukraine, I think all those Republicans who oppose aid to Ukraine could likewise be accused of"opposing their own party."

Trump's position on Ukraine is part of the reason I won't vote for him.  Same as I didn't vote for J.D. Vance.

Just not a fan of this neo-isolationism.  And I do distinguish that from someone like Rand who is just an across the board deficit hawk.
Trump is not for isolationism. Trump is against giving Ukraine an unlimited blank-check with no oversight or accountability. It is fine to fund Ukraine with "loans" and monitors to follow the money. What the Dems like McConnell want, is to give Ukraine ANYTHING and ANY AMOUNT they want with no strings, so they can easily bounce it back to Congressmen, bureaucrats and the Democrat Party in general. That is insanity.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 08:01:15 pm »
Trump is not for isolationism. Trump is against giving Ukraine an unlimited blank-check with no oversight or accountability. It is fine to fund Ukraine with "loans" and monitors to follow the money. What the Dems like McConnell want, is to give Ukraine ANYTHING and ANY AMOUNT they want with no strings, so they can easily bounce it back to Congressmen, bureaucrats and the Democrat Party in general. That is insanity.

Yes, that IS insanity!!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 08:13:05 pm »
Trump is not for isolationism. Trump is against giving Ukraine an unlimited blank-check with no oversight or accountability. It is fine to fund Ukraine with "loans" and monitors to follow the money.

First, the idea that loans to Ukraine, especially under the terms in the very, very recent Trump proposal, is no different than actually giving them the money makes no sense. As Trump himself said, if Ukraine wasn't able to pay them back, the loans would be forgiven.  So as a practical matter, it is a distinction without a difference.  As I commented elsewhere, that underlying reality is something that a lot of Trump supporters seem to gleefully overlook. They were all behind him when he said not another penny for Ukraine, but the moment he makes a proposal that amounts to a whole lot more pennies for Ukraine, they do a 180 and support that as well.

Second, my statement about Trump was based not only on Ukraine, but also his facially ridiculous claim that he is 100% sure that the members of NATO would never, ever assist the United States under Article 5 if we were ever attacked.   In making that statement, he is either inexcusably ignorant, or just a flat out liar.  Neither is acceptable to me, especially when both of those statements have an underlying isolationism at their core.

And third, his statement that he would not come to the aid of a fellow member of NATO who was not paying their fair share.  If he actually meant that (and he should never have said it if he didn't)
then his unambiguous policy position should be that he plans to withdraw from NATO upon being elected unless every member state is meeting its financial obligations. He would then support forming a new alliance consisting only of member states that meet those financial obligations.

But instead, he reprises his juvenile Queens real estate negotiator personality In complete ignorance of the reality that his statements can have real world consequences that he did not intend.

I suppose I should add my belief that Trump's sympathies lie 100% with Russia, and he would be perfectly fine if Russia finished off Ukraine completely.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:19:16 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 08:39:39 pm »

I suppose I should add my belief that Trump's sympathies lie 100% with Russia, and he would be perfectly fine if Russia finished off Ukraine completely.
Trump's sympathies lie 100% with America.

Russia respects Trump because Putin views him as a rational level-headed unbiased leader. Trump never jumped on the "everything Russia does is evil" bandwagon that the press has been pushing for nearly a decade.

Unlike Biden who is 100% with his bosses in China. Trump is ready and able to work with Ukraine and Russia to bring the war to an end before it spreads to greater Europe. This is a war that would never have happened to begin with if Trump had been President.

Trump is unique. He is accepted by and is able to work with all sides, Ukraine, Russia, and NATO, toward peace. It is my opinion that the Democrats oppose any kind of 'peace' in Ukraine. They are making too much money from it. Democrats love 'forever never-ending wars'. This is why they only give Ukraine arms sporadically, and with just enough to get by to stalemate on the battlefield.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 09:24:46 pm »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 09:31:44 pm »

I am not a purebred isolationist... But I am not of a mind that we are the world-police either. Endless wars. Foreign entanglements... Not right.

So I fall heavily into the 'None of our business' crowd.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:13 pm »

:bingo:

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 10:07:57 pm »
I thought we were talking about Mitch.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 10:22:02 pm »
OK, mountaineer.

Mitch McConnell is the Republican version of Diane Feinstein.
How's that hit ya...?

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2024, 10:46:34 pm »
OK, mountaineer.
Mitch McConnell is the Republican version of Diane Feinstein.
How's that hit ya...?
I don't understand your comment. This thread is about McConnell, but it devolved into yet another squabble about Trump. That's all I was saying.

I have no regard for Mitch, and don't really care to which Democrat you compare him.