Author Topic: Army officer explains why he’s allowed to wear feathers in his hair  (Read 304 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Army officer explains why he’s allowed to wear feathers in his hair
March 19, 2024

By Andy Wolf

A US Army Officer has been getting in touch with his native roots— to include an official Department of Defense photo of himself mixing native clothing items and his dress uniform.

Maj. Patrick Sorensen, who is a marketing and public affairs officer, managed to get a religious exemption in order to grow out his hair and wear eagle feathers, citing his Native American heritage. The feathers reportedly have individual meaning in relation to his military career, with white feathers symbolizing people he was close to who were close to him and perished, either by enemy action or suicide, respectively.

“A white feather represents Spc. Brittany Gordon who was killed in Afghanistan when a suicide bomber. A black feather is for Sfc. Nelson Trent, who was killed in 2012 when his vehicle was struck by an IED,” The US Army Training and Doctrine Command wrote on a related Instagram post.

https://popularmilitary.com/army-officer-explains-why-hes-allowed-to-wear-feathers-in-his-hair/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Army officer explains why he’s allowed to wear feathers in his hair
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 05:12:18 pm »
It's like Thoroughly Woke Milley said, wokeness in the military is a myth. :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 07:01:59 pm »
Why did this clown enlist if he didn't want to follow the rules regarding dress and appearance?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 07:36:57 pm »
Funny how the Code Talkers didn't want exemptions to the dress code.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:13:08 pm »
We had a few Native American soldiers in my unit and they had to have the short hair and wear the same uniform as everyone else

If you want a religious exemption, then don’t join the military
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy