Author Topic: California man sold $3.5 million in counterfeit parts for subs, lasers  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California man sold $3.5 million in counterfeit parts for subs, lasers
Steve H.S. Kim used a label maker to fool Defense Logistics Agency buyers. He is scheduled to be sentenced on July 17.

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED APR 1, 2024 1:10 PM EDT

A California  man admitted to selling the U.S. military $3.5 million in counterfeit or old parts for critical military systems used in a nuclear submarine and an aircraft laser system, Justice Department officials announced.

Steve H.S. Kim, 63, pleaded guilty to wire fraud and trafficking in counterfeit goods for selling the Defense Logistics Agency, or DLA, counterfeit and old fan assemblies from 2016 to May 2023, according to the Justice Department.

As part of the scheme, Kim used a labelmaker to fool Pentagon officials on the origin of the parts according to court records, which Task & Purpose obtained through the Public Access to Court Electronic Records, or PACER system.

“The failure of one or more of the counterfeit fan assemblies Kim sold for use in military systems was likely to cause impairment of combat operations,” court records say.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/defense-logistics-agency-fraud/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy personnel couldn't tell the difference?  Or did they spot the difference and were told keep quite?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 :pondering: Sentence him? He sold counterfeit or bad parts to our military, the only sentence he should receive is one of termination, that is a sentence that will make the next guy think twice before putting our military and nation at risk.