Author Topic: OPINION: RFK Jr. is poised to be a chaos factor in November  (Read 275 times)

Offline libertybele

If RFK Jr. can get onto the ballot in all 50 states, I think he's likely to have a bigger impact than expected.

RFK Jr. is poised to be a chaos factor in November

In a normal presidential election year, an anti-system third-party candidate like Robert F. Kennedy Jr. would not be polling at nearly 10% at this point in the cycle. But this is not a normal year.

This is an election year ripe for an anti-establishment candidate to create significant uncertainty — and potentially stir some even bigger changes to the US party system. With the announcement of his running mate, Silicon Valley attorney and entrepreneur Nicole Shanahan, Kennedy’s campaign will expand its ballot access.

Assuming President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump officially receive the party nominations they have now clinched, the stage is set for a general election that could have the lowest combined approval rating for major party candidates ever (or at least in the history of polling).

Both Biden and Trump have approval ratings stuck in the 40s, where they have been for years. It has echoes of 2016 when former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Trump broke records for the highest unfavorability ratings of any two candidates on Election Day.

On the surface, this double dislike seems puzzling: Shouldn’t one of the two parties have figured out how to elevate a more popular general election candidate? Perhaps. But something else is weird about this moment. In a December 2023 Gallup poll, not a single top US government official tested had a job approval rating over 50% — and Kennedy bucks this trend. Kennedy is the only presidential candidate with a net favorable rating.

It’s not just the candidates. Both major parties also have negative favorability ratings. And nearly three in 10 Americans (27%) now view both parties unfavorably — up from just 6% in 1994. (That mirrors the 26% who view both Trump and Biden unfavorably.) Americans overwhelmingly want more than two political parties. The share of Americans saying “a third major party is needed” hit a record high of 63% in Gallup polling last October. Young voters are especially eager for more choices.

And it’s not just the parties: Trust in institutions is low across the board. Gallup’s Average Confidence in Major US Institutions tracking hit a record low in 2023 — just 26%. ...............

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/opinions/rfk-jr-third-party-chaos-factor-election-drutman/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: OPINION: RFK Jr. is poised to be a chaos factor in November
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 02:36:03 pm »
The Rats better "Get Smart" or "KAOS" will be in "Control"!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 02:41:59 pm »
The Rats better "Get Smart" or "KAOS" will be in "Control"!
Clever. I still think RFK Jr. will be a factor. IF he gets too far ahead in the polls, hopefully he has a good security detail; the Kennedy name has tragedies attached to it.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:32:09 pm »
If he is a factor, it'll be similar to Perot in 1996
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 10:14:02 pm »
Bobby Jr. will get a modest amount of the ne'ertrumpers. They weren't going to vote for Mr. Trump anyway.

But he's positioned to draw a sizable number of "biden defectors".
The worse things get for ol' white joe, the rosier they'll be looking for Bobby...