Author Topic: Migrants charged in border wall riot will stay in jail  (Read 134 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrants charged in border wall riot will stay in jail
« on: April 02, 2024, 12:46:59 pm »
Migrants charged in border wall riot will stay in jail
by: Julian Resendiz, Tirza Ortiz

Posted: Apr 1, 2024 / 05:37 PM CDT

Updated: Apr 2, 2024 / 12:09 AM CDT

Public defender declines bond reduction, says release will send clients back to immigration custody

EL PASO, Texas (Border Report) – Thirty-nine migrants charged by Texas with rioting at the border wall will not get their bond reduced.

El Paso County Jail Magistrate Tony Aun made the call on Monday at the request of a public defender fearful of losing contact with her clients, who would pass onto federal custody if “released” by local judges. That would hinder the chances of fighting off a conviction that not only could send them to prison, but disqualify them from future immigration benefits.

UPDATE: 222 charged with participating in riot at border wall in El Paso County
Play VideoDPS arrests 4 wire cutters

“There is a hold on my client based on an immigration retainer. If your honor were to release him, he would not actually be released,” said Kelli Childress, a county public defender. “Therefore, we are requesting he remain in the County Jail because if he were to go to an immigration center, he would not have any contact with me.”

https://www.borderreport.com/news/top-stories/migrants-charged-in-border-wall-riot-will-stay-in-jail/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson