Author Topic: The Navy Needs 355 Ships by 2030  (Read 392 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy Needs 355 Ships by 2030
« on: April 01, 2024, 05:02:52 pm »
March 30, 2024   
The Navy Needs 355 Ships by 2030
The Navy remains the tip of the spear for generating and projecting deterrence in the Western Pacific. The latest budget does not reflect that fact.

by John R. Mills

After several years of budget growth, energy, and a glimmer of new shipyards, the defense budget release for Fiscal Year 2025 was much anticipated. When the FY 2025 submission was released, there was a delayed response as defense analysts struggled to process what just happened.

Instead of growth, the theme was shrinkage. There was a distinct delta between the talking points of the secretary of defense’s press release and the Comptroller’s submissions from the services. Across the services, platforms, and systems will be retired faster than they are replaced. For example, six Navy ships are being acquired, and nineteen battleforce ships are being retired. The simple math shows a net loss of thirteen ships from the Navy, yet the secretary’s announcement is overflowing with aspirational platitudes. Professor James Holmes said simply, the “New Defense Budget Makes No Sense.”

Radical lane changes or new directions in budget submissions are normally over-explained well in advance. In one example, the Army is giving away a significant portion of its JLOTS (Joint Logistics Over The Shore) expeditionary port capability to the Gaza Pier and is replete with talk of a watercraft renaissance, yet the Army Rail Float Containerization Equipment Line Item (P.43) goes down twenty-five percent. The optics of the DOD budget submission are deadly serious for the adversary nations of America. They see right through the textual floweriness, smell weakness, and suspect a lack of resolve.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/navy-needs-355-ships-2030-210310
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: The Navy Needs 355 Ships by 2030
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 05:04:20 pm »
So, this is the reason they've been retiring so many ships!  How clever! :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 11:07:02 pm »
What good does it do to have  dozens of new  ships if you  don't  have competent and experienced sailors to man  them?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 11:38:38 am »
The Navy released a fact sheet late Tuesday showing that every major shipbuilding program they're working on is delayed by years.

https://twitter.com/paulmcleary/status/1775287808724226289
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 02:14:53 pm »
What good does it do to have  dozens of new  ships if you  don't  have competent and experienced sailors to man  them?

Recruiting publicity.
Thomas Jefferson