Author Topic: Republicans warm to Social Security, Medicare reform as 2024 election nears  (Read 976 times)

Online libertybele

How about all the entitlements given to ILLEGALS and the cost of ILLEGAL immigration??  Focusing on SS and Medicare to LEGAL Americans is a sure way to lose an election.

Funding fight? There was no fight; it was complete caving to the DEMS. 

Republicans warm to Social Security, Medicare reform as 2024 election nears

Lawmakers have long shied away from serious discussions about entitlement reform, but the issue appears to be coming back into focus for Republicans who are wary about the growing national debt.

"I definitely have noticed it," veteran GOP strategist Doug Heye told Fox News Digital of the uptick in GOP-led discussions on the issue. "Republicans have talked about this for a long time, not always with specifics. But what tends to happen is, they talk about it, they get attacked, they fall back."

Congress just ended the fiscal year 2024 government-funding fight with President Biden signing a $1.2 trillion spending package into law last week and averting a partial government shutdown. But the ugly battle, which took six additional months after the end of fiscal year 2023, only accounted for the government’s discretionary spending – which makes up just over a quarter of annual federal funds.

The vast majority of federal funding is classified as mandatory spending, which includes entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), known colloquially as "food stamps."..........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-warm-social-security-medicare-reform-2024-election-nears
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:59:51 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

Of course they do! What better way to guarantee losing the House and Senate in Nov. then to tell senior citizens their benefits are going to be cut.

We have the most important election coming in our lifetimes and this is how they plan to save the Republic.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Right_in_Virginia

Of course they do! What better way to guarantee losing the House and Senate in Nov. then to tell senior citizens their benefits are going to be cut.

We have the most important election coming in our lifetimes and this is how they plan to save the Republic.

Legacy Republicans live to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Up next:  A revitalized effort to federally ban abortion at 24 hours.

Online LMAO

Good

Leadership has risks.

You can’t defeat the law of economics and mathematics
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 10:17:06 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Want to lose, and to lose BADLY, Pubbies?

Then start talking "Social Security and Medicare 'Reform'".

The more you talk, the more you'll lose.

Have at it !!

Online LMAO

Have at it !!

The first president to talk about some privatization of Social Security was Bill Clinton, and he didn’t lose

Whether anyone chooses  to talk about it or not, the fact is reform is coming. It has to. For many of the same reasons that born more companies have discarded pensions Finn for  401(k)s
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline the OlLine Rebel

In all honesty SS should be repealed.  As should most things for the 20th century, and FDR specifically.

But, it would have to be progressively retracted.  Everyone deserves to be paid back what was taken from them.  And stability is important so people would have to get used to the idea of taking care of themselves long term.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Online libertybele

Have at it !!

Guaranteed loss.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Have at it !!

Exactly...save it for your inaugural speech...

I remember when Bush proposed this during his campaign...the hailstorm that followed I was sure he wouldn't recover but he did...I don't think Trump would.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Legacy Republicans live to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

So essentially, you're saying that the only way for Republicans to seize victory is to do what Democrats do.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

Legacy Republicans live to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Up next:  A revitalized effort to federally ban abortion at 24 hours.

We will never agree on abortion. It is a State's issue. Trump trying to thread the needle with a proposal banning abortion after 15 weeks is wrong. If we are going to fight over when to kill babies I'm always going to stand my ground and say NEVER!

I don't have to agree with Trump on all issues to see he's our last hope, especially with so many Establishment Loyalists in the Pub party.

Offline bilo

The first president to talk about some privatization of Social Security was Bill Clinton, and he didn’t lose

Whether anyone chooses  to talk about it or not, the fact is reform is coming. It has to. For many of the same reasons that born more companies have discarded pensions Finn for  401(k)s

No it won't. If the Pubs propose changing the age benefits can be taken the Rats will beat them over the head with the proposal. About the only change that will fly is removing all benefits from people with other retirement income in excess of $100,000 and that won't fix anything.

Reform will come when the value of the dollar collapses because of the amount of money being printed to pay for the bonds that were sold to pay for the excess spending.

Online cato potatoe

Waiting on the program to collapse is negligence, and will be viewed as such in retrospect.  Deal with the reality of an automatic 23% cut in benefits, and make a proposal.  If the voters choose a giant tax increase on high income professionals, give that segment of the population a chance to plan around such an event (i.e. get the the hell out of dodge).

Offline bilo

Waiting on the program to collapse is negligence, and will be viewed as such in retrospect.  Deal with the reality of an automatic 23% cut in benefits, and make a proposal.  If the voters choose a giant tax increase on high income professionals, give that segment of the population a chance to plan around such an event (i.e. get the the hell out of dodge).

Nothing like this will happen going into an election.

The only chance for real reform is if one party has such a large majority in both the House and Senate that they don't care about the response from the voters.

Online LMAO

Other countries reformed their Social Security type systems without a collapse. Everybody who is in office or running for office knows that both Medicare and Social Security need to be reformed.

Advocating that politicians ignore the issue because of fear of possible electoral consequences is cowardice
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 02:18:31 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
A tad of tin foil inference, but I have a few thoughts why the GOP is intentionally tanking.

Don't forget when it collapses and the SHTF, the ones in charge get the Guillotine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

Have at it !!

Want to lose and lose BADLY, Americans?

Then keep funding government with freshly printed money and keep spending like Peggy Lee.

The more debt you pile up, the more likely you permanently crash the economy.

Have at it, Democrat-lite cowards!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online LMAO

Want to lose and lose BADLY, Americans?

Then keep funding government with freshly printed money and keep spending like Peggy Lee.

The more debt you pile up, the more likely you permanently crash the economy.

Have at it, Democrat-lite cowards!!

The first president to suggest some privatization of Social Security, was Bill Clinton. And George Bush brought it up in the 2000 campaign and he won election. Remember Al Gore’s so-called lockbox?

On one hand, we’re told that we have to elect Donald Trump because he’s the only one that can fight the left. And in the next breath were told we can’t fight the left because we’ll make them mad. They made the same argument with the excessive Covid spending.

“Taking on the left” has to mean more than Twitter wars with Rosie O’Donnell.

When countries like Sweden privatized more of their Social Security type systems, there wasn’t a mass number of politicians thrown out of office or riots in the streets.

Barry Goldwater